The truth is when I proposed to my wife back then I hadn't thought that I would have to make a groom's speech in front of a big gathering. A wedding is always about pressure for the bride and groom. Well leaving that topic for another day, there is a lot of pressure for doing everything right on your wedding day. As the day gets closer, so does the tension starts to build-up. The bride wants all the arrangements to be charmingly beautiful, she wants her dress to stand out from any other and she wants her to be husband to make a vow to her of a lifetime of happiness. But what does the other half of the pair want? Well apart from no runaway bride, he would want to be remembered for his speech. The groom's speech is one of the most awaited events in the entire marriage. It is big deal to almost everyone present on the big day. |
The first few line of the groom's wedding speech can make the reception a grand success. To make a funny groom's speech isn't easy. How do you start? With stomach cringing anecdotes or do you do it the old fashioned way? Everybody will have their eyes out for what the groom has to say. The pressure is on you. Here are a few tips to make your wedding speech funny:
1. Tongue in cheek is the way to go: Every man always has a little boy still inside of him who will quite frankly never really grow up. You and your cheekiness can bring a dull wedding back to life. Start off a wedding toast with a "My speech is your average miniskirt. What you are about to hear will be good enough to cover almost everything but is that short that it will keep your attention". Take the road if you have good pals who have your back although your bride will certainly frown for sure. Trust me my Mrs. wasn't impressed at all.
2. Throwing insults at your mother in law: Well there is nothing like a good old dig at your wife's mother especially at your wedding. Such jokes are common to surface up especially on such days were families come together. But do give it a good thought. Even if you are sure that you know her well enough, think some more. You better not offend her or your wife's family. To tickle everybody's funny bone, I would suggest something more subtle like, 'My speech today was supposed to short and sweet, but then I thought that I wouldn't get an opportunity where both my wife and mother-in-law won't be talking. So I can make most of the moment'. It is quite a gamble but if you are game for it, play on.
3. Crisp opening one-liners: A crisp opening line is sure to grab everyone's attention for a few moments especially when the eldest are starting to snooze at the table itself. You could start off with a loud "Friends, Roman, Countrymen.. Lend me your ears.. Whoops! Sorry guys wrong speech". I firmly believe this approach will get everybody laughing and will make a place for you in history for the funniest groom speeches ever.
4. Use a prop: Why not take to stage with an unusual object which will surely grab more attention than you need. You could take a mop and say "I'm sorry I needed this but somebody will have to mop all the tears after my heart meting speech". People will be rolling on the floor and laughing when they get to know the reason you brought a giant bottle of glue - scream " The newly-weds must stick together". Cheesy but effective for a groom's toast!
5. Ask for a show of hands: I once saw this video clip on YouTube where the groom played a game with all the guests. Before starting off with his main speech, he asked everyone for a show of hands to the questions he asked. The questions started of like "Who hear likes the arrangements? Who liked the food? Come on guys, I want everybody to join in!". This way everybody was a part of the grand day. As the question picked up pace, the groom said, "This time faster guys. Who here likes Uncle Sam? Nobody, come on guys, he isn't that bad. We love you Uncle Sammy. Who thinks I'm adorable? Aww,.. thanks guys (with a wink)! Who here thinks my wife looks like the prettiest girl ever? (Raise your hand)." This way you as the groom get to make people laugh and connect with you. Your wife and her family members will love it.
6. There is a time and place for everything: A wedding speech is no different. No toilet jokes can make your to-be family members at ease. No matter how funny they are to you and your close buds. Although a mention of how many times you sneaked in to your wife's house when everyone was asleep is something that will catch everybody off guard. You wife will be left with red blushing cheeks after this wedding toast.
Related Articles -
grooms speech, funny grooms speech, funny grooms speech ideas, grooms toast, grooms wedding speech, wedding speech, wedding toast, groom speeches,