Most of us already know about the benefits of breastfeeding your precious gift. Of course mother’s milk is especially designed for her baby. Of course it provides antibodies the baby can get nowhere else. Of course it is much more easily digested than formula (thus the more frequent feeding times). Of course the skin to skin contact provides amazing bonding. Most people know all of these things. I would like to share five more reasons for breastfeeding based on my personal experience nursing my five babies. |
1. There is little need for getting out of bed. I nursed the baby right before I fell asleep then placed him or her in a bassinet next to my bed. When those first whimpers of hunger would start in the wee hours of the night, I nursed my baby and went right back to sleep. Often I would be awakened at four or five o’clock by my baby latching on and helping himself! Geez Louise! This kid has a twenty-four hour all-you-can-eat buffet!
2. Plain and simple convenience. Let me describe the contents of my typical diaper bag: often diapers and wipes for two babies, burp cloths, diaper ointment, teething rings, Orajel, toys, books, changings of clothes, a dumped out bag of Goldfish, and a half-eaten Snickers bar. I was so happy not to deal with bottles, nipples, bottle warmers, formula premeasure thingies (what are those called, anyway?), scoops, and lastly, formula. Breast milk is portable, preheated, and always on tap.
3. Forced slow down times. While a bottle-fed baby can be handed off to anyone at feeding time, or even fed by propping the bottle on a pillow, a nursing mommy is sorta forced to sit down and take a break. Now, there is the occasional time when you can (if you are talented enough) discreetly nurse a baby worn in a sling while pushing a cart of groceries. However, most of the time mom will take a much needed “sit”. These are built in times for bonding. Some of my fondest memories are of the times when I nursed my baby while reading to my toddler and preschooler.
4. You lose that baby weight quicker. Nursing burns daily 500-600 calories (perhaps more) from breast milk production alone. Your metabolism is super revved up on top of that. The contractions caused by nursing help to shrink that saggy baggy belly. I was always so hungry when nursing. Nursing was the only time in my life when I could eat MORE and still shed pounds. (Disclaimer: apparently everyone does not experience this phenomenon! )
5. Excuses. Excuses. Excuses. They say that your actual pregnancy will cause more breast changes than nursing does. Most people don’t know that though. Shhhhh. We can keep that part a secret; so when you turn forty and the girls start to lose their battle with gravity, you can use the ol’ breastfeeding excuse!
See baby items, baskets, cookie bouquets at www.redrubies.com
Related Articles -
baby, nursing, breast feeding, bonding, humor, convenience, reasons for breast feeding, bottle, diapers, gift,