The landscape of Canada’s British Columbia is one of the great wildernesses of North America, making it the perfect place to explore with your family. Activity holidays starting in Vancouver, venturing into the breathtaking scenery of the Garibaldi Provincial Park and along British Columbia’s stunning coastline, take in a variety of landscapes all offering different outdoor pursuits. So whether you want to canoe, kayak, mountain bike or hike, discovering this beautiful land will be an adventure for all the family. Choose your Route |
There is so much to see around Vancouver that visitors looking to explore can feel a little overwhelmed. One of my favourite routes, which I’ve travelled with my own children, is a circuit which loops from Vancouver up to Whistler and then back via Harrison Hot Springs.
The loop includes a stop off in Squamish, then up through the Garibaldi Provincial Park, up to Whistler, on through the mountains to Lillooet (with its excellent white water activities) before heading south to Fraser Canyon, Hope and Harrison Hot Springs.
The great thing about this route is that it will give you the chance to experience everything from sea kayaking to mountain climbing with your family. Activity holidays to British Columbia don’t get much more adventurous than this.
Highlights of your Trip
• Sea Kayaking on Vancouver Island One of my most precious family memories was taking my children out sea kayaking from Vancouver Island. We took a day tour from the Gulf Islands and were lucky enough to see a great variety of wildlife.
• Windsurfing in Squamish Set on the coast, north of Vancouver, Squamish is protected from rough sea conditions as it’s on an inland creek and yet it has great south easterly winds, making it the perfect place for you and the kids to try windsurfing or kitesurfing.
• Mountain Biking in Whistler Probably most famous for its skiing, in the summer months Whistler becomes a mecca for mountain bikers thanks to its stunning scenery and challenging terrain. There is a wide range of trails to bike around Whistler, designed for mountain bikers of all levels, so you and the kids will find plenty to challenge you.
Heading Back to Vancouver
The trip isn’t over as you turn back towards Vancouver – there are still plenty of things to see and do on this final leg of your adventure. Two of my favourites include:
• River Rafting in Lytton Feel the exhilaration of white water rafting through the stunning Fraser Canyon near Lytton. Security conscious, highly experienced guides make this a great activity for all the family.
• Ziplining in Hope Finish your holiday off with a bang with a ziplining experience through the Cascade mountains in Hope. Just 90 minutes drive from Vancouver, Hope offers stunning mountainous and coastal landscapes which you and the kids can discover from the air.
There are so many adventures to have in British Columbia that it’s worth giving me and my team at Summit & Blue a call on 01243 929121 to help you plan the very best holiday experience. Let us know what gets your family’s pulse racing and we’ll arrange the best of Canada’s family activity holidays just for you.
Richard Edwards is the Managing Director of Summit & Blue, an adventure holiday company offering independently crafted family activity holidays to exciting destinations around the world, including France, Italy, Portugal, the USA and Canada. With unique itineraries and exciting activities like biking, hiking, white water rafting and canoeing, we create holidays for those looking for an experience a little more off the beaten track.
Related Articles -
Family, activity, holidays,