"Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country" said John F Kennedy in his inaugural address. |
The same thing holds for us employees. What is it you are willing to do for your employer willingly? When you can think and act on those lines you are on the path to becoming a star employee.
Once you are a star employee, the chances of getting a promotion, a bonus, a perk or whatever else you desire become very high.
So what is it you can do for your employer? Let us see.
Maybe you can do one thing exceptionally well with a lot of work and discipline or you can do several small things in a slightly better way.
If you fall into the first category and are exceptional in one or two things, I am jealous of you but good for you and you can stop reading the post here.
The rest of us need to pick a few things that benefits our employers and do them consistently. A few come to my mind
1. Come to work on time and before your boss comes to work.
2. Contribute more than you have been asked for, way more.
3. Do your own research. Let us say you have been assigned a task and not much information was provided, do your own research on the net or call people up who may have the information and do your task well.
4. When possible contribute to the success of your coworkers, of course after you have completed your tasks.
5. Always have a cheerful demeanour.
6.Always turn out high quality work.
7. Any small change you can do to make the work place better do it.
8. Never pass the buck around. Take the responsibility
9. Understand your task in the larger context of the business your employer is in.
You can pick from your own experience as well. Everyone knows all of these, yet only a few do them.
That is even more good news for you, it means there is not much competition in walking the talk.
Walk all the way to becoming a star employee.
Related Articles -
Career, jobs, it jobs, jobs in US, Java jobs, .net jobs, php jobs, tech skills, hard work, employee, employer, recruiter, ,