Most of you reading this probably work, have worked, or will work in an office at some point. And there is a good chance that you are reading this from the office right now – a good way to kill some time I suppose. Until your office kills you that is. Yes, apparently your office is an environment that is quite harmful for you and it is ruining your health in every possible way you can imagine. But how can working in an office be dangerous, you do nothing extreme but sit down all day and handle documents and/or type on a computer? Well, let's find out |
1. Sitting Every office job involves a lot of sitting and that is why you will die young. Apparently, sitting is among the most dangerous things you can submit your body to. But how come? It is a well-known fact that bad posture can lead to back pain. That is why most office worker strife towards buying ergonomic things. But the problem is the very act of sitting all day long. Studies show that it doesn't even matter if you go to the gym regularly – you are still at a very high risk of getting cancer or heart disease. In fact, a person who stands all day long at his job is healthier than you even if he doesn't work out.
2. Boredom If you are reading this from your job then you are probably very bored. And your office job is killing you with boredom... literally. It sure is nice to have a stress-free job but boredom is actually killing you in a variety of ways. Your heart rate remains the same of a good eight hours a day. This means that when your heart has to pump faster, it won't do such great job. In other words, boredom is also putting you in a higher risk of heart attack.
3. Gadget Pollution There are numerous office appliances that are messing with your health. The photocopier for instance. Have you noticed the funny smell that comes out of it? That is ozone and it is a well-known fact that this gas is quite dangerous when inhaled. A new photocopier comes with a filter that collects the dangerous ozone but when was the last time somebody changed the filter in your office? The laser printer is also to blame for messing around with your health. Most laser printers slowly but surely give away tiny particles of toner. When inhaled, the tiny particles can easily make their way to your lungs and cause damage.
4. The Lighting Even the lighting in your office is ruining your health? Have you ever wondered why you feel so tired at the end of the work day. You actually feel physically exhausted even though you were sitting all day long. Well, the lighting is to blame for this. There is this thing called “over-illumination” and it happens when artificial light is brighter than it needs to be. And if all you do is sit on a computer all day, then yes, you are suffering the effects of over-illumination.
5. Sick Building Syndrome You know very well that the keyboard and the computer mouse on your desk are swarmed with germs. But fear not, that is just the tip of the iceberg. It is called sick building syndrome. The entire office building you work in is full of germs – much more germs than you could guess. Once upon a time, buildings were constructed in a way to let more air in. Because, you know, air is something we need to live after all. But then it all became about energy conservation. Have you ever wondered why you can't open most of the windows in your office building? That's why. So, the problem is that the air in your office is dirty. Just how dirty? Well, nearly 100 times dirtier than the air outside. The thing is, even if your office building has proper ventilation, the ducts are dirtier than you think and they have to be cleaned properly on a regular basis. Cleaners Islingtonis a company that provides outstanding office cleaning.
Related Articles -
health, office, sick buildings, bacteria, germs, cleaning, maintenance,