Mold isn't the only threat from flooding. Bacteria may also be a problem if your house was soaked by sewage. Bacteria can cause dangerous gastrointestinal and skin infections. The good news is that the faster you act, the more you may be able to save. |
Mold spores can germinate and grow in a moist or damp environment, on any surface that contains organic matter. A home that's been flooded can provide ideal conditions for the growth and proliferation of mold.
There are many types of molds, and they are present throughout the environment, indoors and out. Tiny mold particles are always present in the air, in the form of tiny microscopic cells known as spores. There are many types of molds, and they are present throughout the environment, indoors and out. Tiny mold particles are always present in the air, in the form of tiny microscopic cells known as spores.
In addition to health complaints, mold damages building materials, goods, or furnishings when it grows on them. Mold growth and moisture may eventually compromise the building's structural integrity. Because of potential health concerns and damage to property, molds should not be allowed to grow and multiply indoors.
Clean-up and Removal of Mold: The basic steps
Start hauling wet things, especially plush items like pillows, upholstered furniture, or curtains out of the house to a place like the garage or the driveway where they can dry. "They are going to be the more challenging things to salvage," Morley says. Use a shop vac or wet vac to suck water out of soggy carpets. Fans can help get air moving in enclosed spaces, but they may not be enough. Consider renting or buying a dehumidifier to keep moisture levels low in the air in rooms you're trying to dry. Basements and big areas may require larger, commercial-sized machines. "You want to get as much air movement as possible over the wet areas," says Arthur Lau, a certified microbial investigator for Microecologies, a national restoration and cleanup company. Remove baseboards and moldings from flooded walls, especially if the walls are made of sheetrock. "Baseboards really prevent the lower few inches of wet walls from drying out, no matter how much air you put on it," Lau says. Cut small openings along the bases of walls to let air into the wall to dry the back as well as the front of the sheetrock. "The paper covering on sheetrock is on the front and back sides. So you may see nothing on the room-side surface, but you don't know what's happening on the backside," Lau says. After Mold Starts Growing
If the power has been off for a few days, mold may have already gotten the upper hand by the time you're really able to start cleaning. Both the CDC and the EPA recommend bringing in a trained professional to clean up mold that covers more than 100 square feet or a 10-foot-by-10-foot area. Some states require contractors that clean up mold to be licensed. At the minimum, anyone you hire should have experience getting rid of mold, references you can call, and liability insurance.
If you're cleaning a smaller area, you can wash mold off most hard surfaces with a mixture of detergent and hot water. The EPA doesn't recommend using chlorine bleach or other biocides -- chemicals that kill living organisms -- to clean up mold unless there are special circumstances, such as a person living in the home who has a weakened immune function.
If you prefer to use bleach to clean up mold, the CDC recommends mixing a solution of no more than one cup of bleach for every gallon of water. And be careful not to mix it with ammonia or cleaners that contain ammonia.
For more ideas and best assistance, check out Flood Restoration Auckland main page
Related Articles -
Flood, floods, flooded, flood restoration Auckland, carpet dryer, dehumidifier, carpet drying, water damage restoration Auckland, flood restoration,