Providing yet another example of the kind of tragedies that the Asbestos Air Testing services of organisations like Trident Surveying can help to prevent is the sad story of 86-year old Mary Pointer's death from mesothelioma in April last year. This cancer of the lung lining is strongly linked to a sufferer's exposure to asbestos decades earlier, and now, her family have received five-figure compensation. |
Mary was the widow of Ronald, whose dust-covered overalls were often washed by her during his 15-year spell at the old Marchwood Power Station in Hampshire. He worked at the Central Electricity Generating Board (CEGB) premises between 1955 and 1970, the monumental complex being demolished in the 1980s and subsequently replaced with a new facility.
Specialist lawyers at Irwin Mitchell launched legal proceedings against E.ON UK, which took over the CEGB's liabilities and has now agreed to pay a "significant" sum to the family, in what is being talked of as a landmark case that could have implications for future claims. The Daily Echo reported that Mr Pointer worked in the boiler room of the power station prior to becoming a turbine operator. His death in 1999, aged 85, was attributed to a cancer unrelated to asbestos.
Representing the couple's son Darryl, Irwin Mitchell lawyer Roger Maddocks described the case as tragic, adding: "A widow died of mesothelioma caused simply by inhaling asbestos dust as she cleaned her husband's overalls. It shows the risks asbestos dust and fibres pose to those exposed to them. We are delighted to have been able to provide Darryl with the answers he was looking for about what caused his mother's mesothelioma."
50-year old Mr Pointer, of Leeming Bar, Yorkshire, commented: "It was absolutely devastating to watch my mother suffer in the final months of her life. She should never have been in a position to be exposed to asbestos and I am delighted that we now have justice in her name." He added that "She had no idea of the dangers of asbestos" and "No amount of money will make up for the loss of my mum."
By getting in touch with Trident Surveying's own highly trained and knowledgeable Asbestos Air Testing professionals, you can help to ensure that your own organisation keeps your employees and all other users of your premises safe from potentially deadly asbestos exposure.
Related Articles -
Asbestos, Air, Testing,