For a great new look in containers, think of miniature succulents. These fleshy leaved plants grow well and their distinctive colors and shapes provide boundless opportunities for creativity. Succulent plants are gaining more popularity because they are easy to take care of and are drought tolerant. They are available in wide variety of shapes, colors and requires a modicum of care. Succulent gardens make a unique, personal, one-of-a-kind and very pretty gift for the holidays or an appealing indoor container planting. |
Getting Started on your Succulent Garden • Gather the Supplies > An attractive container with drainage holes, succulent plants and succulent potting soil are the basic supplies that are required before starting to build the garden. > While buying the succulent plants make sure that they vary in texture, height, width and color. This is important in order to balance your miniature garden.
• Select a Container > Selecting a decorative container may help your garden look more attractive. > Most of the succulents are prone to being over watered, so its better to select the container that has drainage holes. > Terracotta pots which are effective in absorbing the moisture can be helpful in drying up the soil in a short time after watering. So, they make the best option for growing succulent plants.
• Select the Plants > You can choose any type of succulent plant for your indoor succulent garden according to your taste. > Choose the plants with different shapes and colors. Couple of shorter plants and one cascading plant brings more attraction to your succulent garden. > There are hundreds of succulent plants to choose from and requires varying lengths of light and maintenance. It is best to make sure that the plants in the same container have similar needs.
• Add Potting Soil > After picking up the plants and the container, it's time to opt for a good potting soil for your succulent garden. > You can buy any commercial potting soil mix.
• Add the Plants > Depending on how your miniature garden will be displayed, you can put your focal plant in the back of the container, or in the center that helps to view it from all sides. > After placing the focal plant, plant the filler plants around it. These will occupy most of the container space adding a whole new interest and dimension to the succulent garden.
• Fill Container With Potting Soil > Now that you have placed all the succulent plants in the garden, fill the gaps or spaces between the plants with the soil. > If you want to include decorative rock to your succulent garden just leave some gap between the top of the soil and top of the container. > Water the garden and allow the soil to settle. Fill in the holes or gaps that form with succulent soil as necessary.
• Add Decorative Accessories > Once the soil has settled in the container, you can add decorative accessories in your miniature garden. > Decorative accessories not only bring good look but also help the soil from washing out while watering.
Growing and Caring for your Miniature Succulent Garden
Once you are done building your miniature succulent garden, it is important to know how to care and maintain it. Here are few tips for caring your miniature succulent garden. > Make sure that the succulent garden is placed near a sunny window because they like to have lots of light. > Do not over-water the succulent plants because excess water in the container may damage the roots of the plants. > Never allow your plants to sit in excess water. Make a drainage system in such a way that the excess water leaves the container.
Making miniature, succulent gardens is a fun pastime and a great hobby for many people. Also, working outside and creating a mini garden, will provide fresh air to the gardener, improve the environment, and add a special touch to your home.
Miniature Gardening' offers miniature trees, accessories, fairies, furniture to create enchanting miniature landscapes for containers or your yard. Miniature Gardening's fairy house are an exclusive collection of handcrafted stone fairy houses designed for outdoor fairy gardens. If you are looking for garden accessories, miniature-gardening.com can be a good option.
Related Articles -
gardening, home and gardening, mini gardening,