Health and safety Gas safety |
It is estimated that, due to defective or incorrectly installed gas appliances and flues, almost 30 people die every year from carbon monoxide poisoning as per the Health and Safety Executive. A large number of people also suffer various ailments due to improper maintenance of these gas fittings and flues. It is for this reason that it is suggested that all the gas appliances and flues are serviced by CORGI-registered gas filters and are properly installed and maintained. The specific duties of the landlords regarding the maintenance and use of gas appliances, fittings and flues and their installation in rental properties are very clearly set out in The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. It is under the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999, that the landlords are liable to have more general responsibilities towards their tenants.
Responsibilities of the landlord
Landlords with leases under 7 years have certain responsibilities, under the laws and regulations of domestic rental properties:
- Making sure that each gas appliance and flue undergoes an annual safety check.
- Keeping at least a two year record of all the safety checks.
- Making sure that maintenance of all gas fittings and flues is done in a safe condition.
- Issuing to the tenants, a copy of the latest safety check, to any new tenants before they move in, or to presently residing tenants within 28 days of the check having taken place.
- Making sure of the fact that all installation, maintenance and safety checks are done by a CORGI-registered gas installer.
- Making sure that before any of the equipment is used again; all defects to any gas fitting and flues are brought to notice and immediately rectified.
The landlord however, under these laws and regulations, is not responsible for certain things such as:
- Any flues that are connected to personally owned gas appliances.
- All gas appliances that are personally owned by the tenant.
More information CORGI can be contacted to find a CORGI-registered gas fitter at: Tel: 0800 915 0480 Mon-Thu 9:00am-5.30pm, Friday 9.00am-5.00pm
It is the responsibility of the landlord to make sure that the total electrical systems as well as all the electrical appliances supplied by them are completely safe to use. These could include appliances like toasters, heaters, kettles cookers etc.
Related Articles -
Health, Safety, Health and Safety,