Imagine the task of getting up in the morning an hour early to do the laundry? Do we really have the bandwidth and most importantly, the energy? The answer would be an obvious ‘NO’. Human life and its ever-changing dynamics have redefined the entire concept of efficiency. Now the modern homemakers no longer do daily chores manually, but they do it smartly. And when it comes to smart execution of menial tasks, one cannot deny the fruits of technological advancements, such as appliances and gadgets. One such gadget is our very own washing machine. Mundane it may sound, but it holds a very important place in modern lifestyle. Over the last few decades, a simple washing machine has undergone revolutionary changes not only regarding structure but also in terms of function. From top load to front load and from semi-automatic to fully automatic washing machine, the combinations and choices are plenty. So, if you are planning to discard an old model of washing machine and go for a new one, its time you explore the market and understand the types of washing machines available. |
Types of washing machines :
Very interestingly, washing machines can be categorized according to function, load, and capacity. When it comes to function, washing machines can be further categorized into semi-automatic and fully automatic washing machines. Semi-automatic typically consists of two tubs for washing and drying, and one has to literally pull the washed pile out of the wash tub and put it into the drying tub. In contrast to this, the fully automatic one just has a single tub that encompasses all the action of washing, rinsing and drying. It is important to note that semi-automatic washing machines are always top load, and hence the choice ends there. But in the case of fully automatic ones, one gets to choose between top load and front load. Front load washing machines have horizontal tubs, whereas top load ones have vertical tubs. When it comes to modern lifestyle, front load machines have better features and washing quality. But, top loading machines have one great advantage over their fully automatic cousin. One can still add clothes in a top load machine tub while the washing process is on, but this is not possible with front load machines. But, in the second quarter of 2016, Samsung launched its innovative range of ‘Add Wash’ series that enables one to add clothes into front load fully automatic machines even while the washing process is on. In terms of capacity, one has plenty of options to choose from. The capacity is measured in terms of the maximum weight of clothes a machine can wash. So, depending on the family size and the number of times clothes are washed in a week, a washing machine can be selected.
Semi-Automatic or Fully Automatic
So the next question arises whether one should go for a semi-automatic or a fully automatic washing machine?
Let’s do a comparative study to understand why it is beneficial to buy a fully automatic machine.
1. Water consumption- Semi automatic washing machines do not require a continuous supply of water. But, fully automatic ones, whether top load or front load, run with a continuous supply of water.
2. Manual intervention- Semi-automatic washing machines cannot function without manual intervention. Therefore, when it comes to saving time, a fully automatic washing machine is the best option.
3. Space consumption- Semi-automatic washing machine tends to take more space owing to its structure, whereas fully automatic washing machine consumes lesser space and is apt to fit into compact areas.
4. Weight- Semi-automatic machines are heavier owing to the presence of two drums, whereas fully automatic machines can be easily carried to any place.
5. Capacity- Semi-automatic washing machine comes with a lesser washing capacity ranging from 4 to 8 kg. Whereas the basic model of an automatic washing machine comes with a capacity of 5 kg, which extends up to 15 Kg depending on the top load and front load variation. Brands like Samsung offer a great range of machines in different capacities so that one is spoilt for choices.
6. Quality of wash- In terms of washing quality, automatic washing machines are up several notches because of the plethora of technologies involved.
So, fully automatic washing machines attract more buyers, owing to their various advantageous features.
Related Articles -
samsung, appliances, electronics, home,