Outdoor signage is one of the most common forms of advertising and probably the first thing your prospective customers see. From traditional billboards and bus stop shelters to other non-traditional media, outdoor advertising has many takers. However, of the many billboards that you have come across, how many do you remember? Other than outdoor sign boards that provide directions and location details, the idea behind outdoor signage for advertising is to create a strong brand recall. |
Types of Outdoor Advertising
Any form of advertising that you see outside your home or office can be classified as outdoor advertising. This type of advertising is used to reach the target customers in open spaces. The most popular types of outdoor signage include the following:
Billboards: Also called hoardings, these are the oldest form of outdoor advertising that target the driving public. They can be placed on highways, intersections, and major traffic points in cities. Billboards provide large format advertising and offer great visibility as they reach a larger audience. They can be ground mounted or building mounted.
Travelling displays: These forms of outdoor signs involve placing the advertisement on public transport, such as buses, taxis, trains, trucks, etc. Anything dynamic can be used as transit advertising to take your message to your traget audience in your area of choice. Travelling displays are advertisements on the move.
Street furniture: This should be the preferred mode of outdoor advertising for connecting with both pedestrians and vehicular traffic. Bus shelters, bus benches, telephone booths, and news-racks are common street furnitures that communicate your message on an eye level. They work well for advertising high-end fashion, entertainment, and packaged goods.
Apart from the popular forms of outdoor signage, there are some non-traditional formats that are worth a try based on where and what your message is. While posters and wall paintings can be used to communicate to the rural masses sandwich men can walk around advertising your brand. Many brands also use sky writing, which involves displaying messages on inflated balloons if not using an airplane to spew the message using exhaust smoke.
Benefits of Outdoor Signage
Outdoor advertising is a great way to reach prospective customers. Unlike print, radio, and television ads, outdoor advertising cannot be skipped or switched off. Therefore, outdoor signage has a lot of advantages, including the following:
1. Creates brand awareness: Apart from introducing a product or service, the presence of your brand’s name or logo helps people know and remember your brand.
2. Cost-effective form of advertising: For the investment you make, you get more returns from outdoor signs as compared to expensive electronic, print, or radio advertising.
3. 24/7 advertising: Round-the-clock advertising is a distinctive characteristic of outdoor signage unlike other media that are sporadic and grab attention only temporarily.
4. Silent salesforce: Outdoor signage links your prospective customers to your business silently. Your outdoor signs guide them to you.
5. Long focus time: Outdoor sign boards grab people’s attention for a longer time as compared to other forms of advertising media.
Things to Keep in Mind
To ensure that people remember your outdoor signage, there are a few key criteria that you should keep in mind.
1. Make it as straightforward as possible by limiting information and keeping the message short and crisp 2. Avoid a lot of styling and use clear, big, readable fonts to make it easy for your moving audience to read your message 3. Use contrasting colours to make your outdoor signs stand out and grab your audience’s attention 4. Use recognizable images that associate with your brand and help your audience connect with you at the first look itself 5. Choose the medium and location based on your target audience
Whatever your choice of outdoor signage, follow this brief guide to make the right choice. From promoting your product to creating an unmatched brand awareness, you can create a great impression on your propsective customers with your outdoor signs. So, go ahead and make heads turn.
Related Articles -
Outdoor Signage, Outdoor Advertising, Outdoor signs, Outdoor signboards,