The Ohio floods that happened last year still seem so fresh in our minds. The water may have receded; however, what has been left behind is the mold everywhere! Before we get into the remedial measures, let us first understand what exactly a mold is and how do they become our uninvited guests! |
Molds are small organisms that are found almost everywhere in your household, including your plants, food and dry leaves. They can be of any color-white, orange, green or black. They are not always useless but can also help the environment by helping in breaking down the dead material.
Post-floods, you may try going an extra mile by vigorously cleaning the porous household surfaces with bleach. However, these surfaces continue to house fungal microbes, even after strenuous bleaching. They may look restored, but the truth is that bleach does not penetrate to the roots of mold and the surface remains infected.
Molds are very tiny and light in weight. As a result, they can travel easily through air. They grow with the help of the nutrients that they find on most building surfaces. The mold spores land on damp material like walls, floors, appliances like the humidifiers or air conditioners, carpet or furniture and begin to multiply. When present in large numbers they may cause allergic symptoms similar to those caused by plant pollen.
Persistent mold can affect your health and also damage surfaces. Exposure to molds is likely to cause watery eyes, a runny nose, sneezing, nasal congestion, and itching, coughing, wheezing, difficulty in breathing, headache and fatigue. Also, the health problems may not be the same for all persons as some people are more sensitive to molds than others.
Infants and children, elderly person, people with low immunity levels or individuals with existing respiratory problems are likely to face more health problems than others. Studies have revealed that wet materials are the best breeding grounds for microorganisms, such as viruses, bacteria, and mold and can lead to many diseases, trigger allergic reactions and continue to damage materials. This description may sound scary. However, every problem has a solution so why not this one.
Here are 5 different steps which will help eliminate and prevent mold problems:
1. Make sure you maintain indoor relative humidity between 30 and 50 per cent by using dehumidifiers as required. Monitor humidity levels with a Hygrometer. Hygrometer is an inexpensive device which can be found at any hardware stores.
2. Ensure that there is ample ventilation in your house especially in humid areas such as bathrooms and attics, moisture-producing appliances, such as clothes dryers. Open the doors and windows of your house as and when possible to encourage air exchange.
3. Seal the windows properly to avoid condensation. Insulate cold water pipes and air conditioning vents.
4. Make sure that you monitor moist areas like the bathrooms, kitchens, basements and attics for mold growth. Look for surface discoloration and spot the mold with your nose as the musty, earthy smell may be a sign of this fungi.
5. Throw inexpensive, water-logged and mold-infested materials away. You can use an EPA-registered solution for the not so-much infested materials. The solution will not only remove but also prevent the fungus.
Mold remediation, Providence restores and rescues your property from damage due to molds. Take professional help to protect yourself from dangerous mold situations. Visit http://www.purocleanri.com for details.
Related Articles -
mold remediation in rhode island, mold remediation cranston, mold remediation coventry,