The real unsung heroes of the lighting world, LED has revolutionized the way we talk about energy efficient lighting. They do dozens of various tasks and are found in almost all kinds of devices. From notifying when the devices are on to forming images on a jumbo television screen, LED is one of the most rapidly developing lighting technologies. |
What is LED?
LED is a specialized form of PN junction diode which emits light when activated. When a suitable voltage is provided to the set up, electroluminescence takes place and electrons combine with electron holes thereby releasing energy in the form of photons.
How are LED Sign boards made?
LED sign boards are usually manufactured by placing many small LED lights inside acrylic letters of the desired structure or on big hoardings, depending upon the structure and design requirement. Circuits boards of various shapes are also used to create a vivid spectrum of different colored lights.
Some of the basic terms involved with LED lights are -
- Pixel: The individual LEDs are mounted in groups better known as pixels. It can vary from one LED in a pixel to as many as 25 as well.
- Pitch: Pitch is the distance from the center of one pixel to the center of another pixel. It determines the LEDs in a pixel and how crisp an image will be.
- Matrix: Matrix is made up of the number of pixels wide and the number of pixels high of an LED sign board. It determines what will be the sign of the signal board.
Advantages of using LED Sign boards:
Having already revolutionized the light industry, LEDs are used as a light source on most gadgets now-a-days. This is due to the benefits, the usage of LED bring along with it. The same applies when one opts for LED sign boards over Fluorescent or neon displays. These benefits include:
- Better appearance: Unlike neon or a fluorescent sign board, a LED sign board is not a constant battle for the owner to keep the sign complete lit with optimal and consistent brightness.
- Environment Friendly: A LED sign board consumes about 80% less energy as compared to conventional lighting systems. Not only it saves electricity, but these LED setups also do not emit harmful gases into the environment.
- Low maintenance: Considering the efficiency and larger life span, LED sign boards can offer, it is not difficult to understand why they have less maintenance demands. Moreover, their strong built and simplicity makes these boards easy to use and a fruitful investment.
- More Signage options: LEDs make it possible for a manufacturer to create all types of color changes, animations, digital flashes and movements as per the requirements of the customers. Since LEDs can be programmed to fade, light or flash independently, it provides a flexibility helping businesses grab eyeballs with distinctive sign boards and images.
Life Time of LED Sign Boards
While the life time of LED sign boards depend upon how the customer deals with it, a digital sign will, however, lose its intensity and quality over time. For the first 2000 hours a high quality diode loses about 20% of initial brightness and then decades a bit slower till its half life and then at a substantially faster rate until its life expectancy of 100000 hours is reached.
Related Articles -
LED Sign Boards, LED Sign Board, LED Boards, Sign Boards, LED Signs, LED Sign,