There may be hundreds of notaries public in Singapore. They are appointed by the Board of Commissioners for Oaths and Notaries Public and in most cases are the highly experienced lawyers having an experience of around 15 years or even more. |
There may be hundreds of notaries public in Singapore. They are appointed by the Board of Commissioners for Oaths and Notaries Public and in most cases are the highly experienced lawyers having an experience of around 15 years or even more. The activities of these qualified lawyers and public notaries in Singapore are carried out following the Notaries Public Act. They are the authority to attest documents that may be used legally in foreign countries in many instances and hence their services are highly important to businessmen and individuals alike.
When Does One Need the Services of Public Notaries?
The impartial officer called as a notary public in Singapore has the main task of notarizing the documents, and these documents are often used for certification, witnessing, and authentication purposes in foreign countries. The need for document notarization may arise usually when somebody is involved in foreign litigation or when the matter or the case requires that the documents be executed in Singapore for a person who owns property/business in an overseas destination. The notarial certificate is the proof of notarization and is issued/provided once the process is over.
Services Provided by the Notaries Public
A notary public may provide below given services.
- The general services of document notarization.
- Certifying the true copies of documents. These may include birth certificates, marriage documents, and other similar kinds of documents.
- Administering of the affirmations and oaths that may relate to a statuary declaration or affidavit.
- Attestation of the signature on the documents and their execution. These documents may include contracts, deeds, powers of attorney, property transfers, and the IPR assignments among others.
- Protesting of the bills of exchange
- Ship protest entry.
The fee for the different services provided by notaries public is fixed by the legal rules and laws. The fee varies from one service to another.
A document that has to be used overseas may also undergo even further scrutiny and may involve verification as well as legalization. The legalization process takes the below-given course.
- The document is first notarized by a notary public and the authority also issues the notarial certificate for it.
- The signature of the notary public is authenticated by the Singapore Academy of Law.
- Next, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs verifies the document.
- The embassy or the consulate of the foreign country also legalizes the document and its origins, though the use of an official stamp along with a signature, in most of the cases.
A document that passes all these stages is verified and can be used in a foreign country for the desired purposes. The best legal firms and lawyers in Singapore can help clients from corporate and other backgrounds easily settle cases related to their overseas businesses and properties through their extensive expertise and experience in the field. The process of authentication and attention of a document by a notary public in Singapore turns to be hassle-free and highly convenient when a leading legal firm is engaged. The reputed law firms offer cost-effective services as well, contrary to what many may opinionate.
About Author: Jason is a law student. He currently writes on topics related to notary public singapore and other legal issues and advice.
Related Articles -
notary public singapore, notary public services, commisioner oaths services, notary public,