There are several non-surgical or conservative methods of treating finger, wrist or hand pain.|
Why Conservative Treatment Methods for Hand, Wrist or Fingers?
The conservative treatment methods for hand, wrist or fingers help decrease pain, inflammation, maintain function, and gradually assist in overcoming the underlying causes.
The rheumatologist plays an imperative role in helping the patient overcome pain. Patient’s cooperation and following the orthopedic doctor’s instructions is a critical part of the treatment.
The Conservative Treatments Discussed Below
Conservative treatment of medical conditions like hand osteoarthritis or wrist pain management includes overcoming post-traumatic arthritis and basilar thumb arthritis. The focus of the treatment is to help decrease pain and improve patient’s quality of life.
Here are examples of conservative treatments used by the orthopedic doctor to treat the patient for hand, wrist or finger pain. Please note that only a qualified orthopedic doctor can advise the right treatment. The shared below information only gives you an idea, and you need to consult your orthopedic doctor in Sioux Falls SD about your specific health issues.
• The use of splints for hand, finger or wrist at night before the patient goes to sleep.
• The application of heat, wax, or paraffin baths to overcome swelling and pain. Sometimes, the orthopedic doctor may advise the use of cold modalities.
• Sometimes, the doctor may suggest the patient take certain types of exercises to relieve pain.
• The doctor may advise steroid injections in extreme cases.
• Rest is also helpful in conditions where the problem persists because of an injury.
• The doctor may ask the patient to regularly take anti-inflammatory medications for a few days until the problem subsides.
Considerations in Applying Conservative Treatment for Wrist, Hand or Fingers
Please note that you can only take medication upon the advice of a qualified doctor. The amount and type of medicines administered depend on patient’s condition. Therefore, always avoid self-medication which can be potentially dangerous for you.
Physiotherapy for the Patient
The physicians at Sioux Falls Orthopedics understand the importance of an experienced hand therapist. Therefore, Dr. Dave Watts of Sioux Falls Orthopedics SD only recommends qualified physiotherapists to their patients who have spent some years satisfactorily treating their patients.
These are conservative methods of treatment for fingers, hands or wrists pain. To book an appointment with your orthopedic surgeon in Sioux Falls SD, get in touch with us today.
Related Articles -
Orthopedics, Health and Fittness, Hand and wrist pain,