The presence of mold is caused by the combination of shoddy ventilation and excess moisture. If left untreated, the bacteria can pose a variety of health risks including everything from asthma to allergies. |
The presence of mold is caused by the combination of shoddy ventilation and excess moisture. If left untreated, the bacteria can pose a variety of health risks including everything from asthma to allergies. In particular, homes that have been left unoccupied are most vulnerable to mold, especially those that have been involved in water damage or natural disasters. If you are partaking in a property restoration which requires mold removal, you need to be prepared to deal with it. In this article, we will provide a few tips and tricks to help you along.
Step 1 – Start by repairing any leaks throughout the home. This includes all pipes or damaged roofing. Such leak types are many times the source of moisture penetration, and will continue adding to growth until they are addressed.
Step 2 – Eliminate excess moisture through the use of dehumidifiers or fans. These devices in addition to open windows and mechanical ventilation systems will work to dry out the home.
Step 3 – Cleanse all soft surfaces with a wet-dry vacuum before setting them outside to dry out. This method applies to sofas, carpet, draperies, etc. If these items still appear moldy once they are dry, dispose of the immediately.
Step 4 – Throw away any porous material that show mold growing on the surface. Inspect all ceiling tiles, drywall, or insulation.
Step 1 – Be sure to wear protection. Safety gloves and goggles should be worn at all times while working within the home. Keep all windows and doors ajar, and look into wearing a respirator in cases where the smells are particularly strong.
Step 2 – Create a mix of non-ammonia-based cleaner and hot water. Use ¼ cup cleaner per gallon of water.
Step 3 – Liberally apply the solution to any and all moldy surfaces via a stiff scrub brush. Make sure to scrub thoroughly, rinsing between applications with clean water.
Step 4 – Create a mix using 1/4 cup bleach per gallon of hot water. This mixture will act to disinfect any surfaces cleaned, and terminate any remaining spores. Pour the solution into a sprayer and apply.
Step 5 – Apply the bleach mixture liberally. Use enough to ensure that each surface is saturated completely. Be sure to clean up afterwards by soaking up any excess solution.
Step 6 – Once application is complete, allow the solution to dry overnight. Assuming you follow the proper methods described, you should be rather mold free. Congratulations!
Related Articles -
property, restoration, trenton,