In this Internet poker article, we will address the adjustments and corrections that you need to be capable to make in order to take on more challenging games against stronger opponents. For disambiguation purposes, we will refer to mini stakes as session pots under $100, and small stakes as pots up to $500. Moreover, the information provided herein is applicable to all types and varieties of poker games, although we will place an emphasis on Internet poker. This is because online poker games are a completely different breed compared to live games, as most versions played online are more eventually balanced and trickier to read properly. |
The following is a short selection of tips for crossing over from mini stakes to small stakes poker games:
• Be very careful how you select your online poker games. While mini stakes games give you the chance to compete against many novice players, small stakes games will raise the challenge, as you will mostly be encountering seasoned poker players for whom poker is much more than just a pass-time activity. Obviously, if your main concern is to make a profit, your goal here is to avoid playing against skillful people and look instead for casual, less experienced players you can easily outplay.
• Consider using dedicated poker tracking software. Specialty software tools provided by various poker sites can be very useful at revealing the game records of your prospective opponents. The information processed by such software programs can indicate the weaknesses and strengths of every poker player, allowing you to build your online poker game strategies accordingly.
• Make responsible and realistic poker hand bids. Unless you can back your game with a sizeable bankroll, avoid moving up and taking big chances too often. On the contrary, don’t hesitate to tone it down a little and favor a defensive approach should things start going bad. Most importantly, keep your wits about you in every situation and avoid making rushed decisions.
• Don’t be afraid to play aggressively when you get strong poker hands. Although this may sometimes discourage your opponents from raising your bids and playing on, it may also give the impression of a bluff, in which case you should do everything you can to get advantage of the situation. Conversely, be careful not to fall for the same trick when your opponents may try to lure you into taking the plunge and risking it all.
• When confronted with high-caliber players, try to distract your opponents’ attention by playing mind games. Experienced opponents will try to read your playing approach right from the start and to drag you into mind games aimed at draining you emotionally and mentally. In such cases, the best defense may be to strike back using the same weapon and to attempt to confuse your online poker game adversaries by playing in a dissimulative manner and intentionally sending out the wrong messages. Moreover, be flexible about the way you play, adapt your strategy as the game progresses and don’t be afraid to improvise on the spot whenever necessary.
For more resources about Internet poker or about online poker games or even about poker site, please review these links.
Related Articles -
Internet poker, online poker games, poker site,