Rat poison or rodenticides are used all over the world to exterminate rats, mice or other similar rodents that may have invaded your home. In early times, traditional ingredients consisted of toxic chemicals such as arsenic, barium and thallium among other extremely poisonous substances. Mouse poison works well because it plays to what a mouse is searching for: food. There are generally two kinds of mouse poison on the market, with the first being quick-kill or single-dose poisons. |
What Are the Common Ingredients of Rat Poison? Modern rat poisons usually contain any one of the following types of toxins in them:
Anticoagulants: These are chemicals that cause internal bleeding in a rodent, as they block the production of the coagulating factors. Some of the common anticoagulants used are warfarins, indandiones and difethialone. Metal Phosphides: They are quick acting poisons that can kill a rat in a matter of a few hours by attacking vital organs as well as the central nervous system of the rat. Commonly used metal phosphides are zinc phosphide, used as baits to kill rats, as well as aluminum phosphide, calcium phosphide and magnesium phosphide which are fumigants. Calciferols: These are nothing but different forms of Vitamin D, namely Vitamins D2 and D3 also known as cholecalciferol and ergocalciferol, respectively. They work by increasing the calcium concentration in the body of a rodent, leading to calcification of organs and ultimately death. Calciferols need to be added to the poisons in high dosage for them to work effectively.
The second option is slow-acting mouse poison that takes effect after about a week. Both kinds contain poisons including warfarin, diphacinone, pival, chlorophacinone, or fumarin. Most pest-control poison products are dyed green.
The quick-kill or single-dose poisons are generally the most popular because they are effective in a short period of time. When successful, they take anywhere from a couple hours to two days to produce the desired result. Additionally, since they only contain about 2.5 grams of poison (less than 1/100th of an ounce), the amount of poison lying around the house is relatively small. While mouse poison isn't hazardous to humans or family pets in small doses, steps still should be taken to ensure the family and the pets do not ingest it. For example, tamper-proof poisons in boxes can be used. Additionally, the poison should be placed out of reach of pets and children.
Even with single-dose poisons, setting out one box of poison often does not do the trick. The recommended amount of poison can range anywhere from two boxes to well up into the double digits, depending on the size of the infestation and what kind of poison is being used. Each set, or box, of mouse poison also should be placed at least six feet (about 1.8 meters) apart in areas the mice are seen or may be nesting. This will increase the chance that the mice take the bait.
Once rodentsfeed on the poison, they typically get thirsty as their blood vessels constrict and spasm. Some mouse poison products claim that the mice then attempt to search for water by going outside,But this is not always the case. The mice may return to their nest to die, or, depending on how long until the poison takes effect, they may die in inconvenient places around the house.
For more information, check links below:
pest control west auckland
Related Articles -
pest control, moth control, insect control, pest controls, pest controller, pest control auckland, pest control northshore, pest control northshore,