1940s vintage style wedding dresses recreate the romance and simplicity of a time when brides opted for austerity over extravagance.
This timeless look can be summed up in three words: structured, stylish and simple.
Features of the 1940s style wedding dress
Wedding dresses of this era were both structured and demure. Let’s take a look at some common features:
- Dresses were made of silk or satin fabrics with tulle overlay and long tulle veils with lace embellishments
- Shoulders were wide (padded or puffed)
- Sleeves were often long and pointed at the wrist to show off the ring
- Necks were V-shaped, but not low cut
- Skirts were usually full and padded
- Cinched in waistlines brought the look together
- Hemlines and trains were long. Some brides preferred a floor-skimming dress to allow them to go from church to reception – where they could jitter-bug the night away – without having to change.
The 40’s wedding gown grew out of a time when the world was at war, widespread rationing was in force and women’s role in society was changing. Women were busy working, often in laborious roles, and had active social lives.
To meet this lifestyle demand women’s fashions had to adopt a more practical and utilitarian style, and so did their wedding dresses.
Many brides had to hastily arrange a wedding while their beau was on service leave. A few quick alterations to a day dress was sometimes all they could manage before saying ‘I Do.’
For the lucky bride who had time to plan her big day, tastes were still quite simple. Brides opted for a traditional and elegant look.
Updating the 1940s wedding dress for the modern bride
Vintage brides love the tradition, romance and elegance of the 40s era gown. Some girls are lucky enough to be handed down an orginal dress from that era, but need to make some alterations to make the dress their own.
If you love this vintage style but don’t have the vintage dress, don’t worry. A wedding dress designer can create a vintage inspired gown – with all the features you love about the 40s style wedding dress – lovingly crafted just for you.
At Edel Tuite Bridal Designs we can tailor a dress from our vintage collection to suit your style, your figure and your vision for that perfect dress.
View our range of vintage style wedding dresses and call 041 987 2951 for a consultation.
For more information View Edel's 1940s Vintage Style Wedding Dresses, Designer Wedding Dresses and Vintage Wedding Dress Collection here at Edeltuitedesign.com
Related Articles -
vintage wedding dresses, vintage style wedding dresses, 1940s style vintage wedding dresses, designer wedding dresses, wedding dress designers,