Home renovation is a major project that requires extensive planning ahead of time. For most people, hiring a contractor is the way to do it, because only the professionals can do the work right. |
There are more than a dozen of contractors available in every big city. There might be more than that number, making it very hard to find the right one that will suit your needs and budget.
Here are the best tips I can give you, in order to know how to work in choosing the right contractor for your home renovation. Please see the details below.
Tips On How To Hire Contractors For Home Renovation
1. Make a list – there are plenty of contractors available in the country. It is recommended that you do a list of the different contractors that you think will work best for you. Use search phrase like Singapore renovation contractor. This will narrow down your search.
2. Check for testimonials and feedback – your friends might have worked with some of the contractors on your list already. You might want to check on their feedback or experience with the contractors, because this will give you an idea of what to expect from them. Otherwise, you can source customer feedback online, thru reviews and testimonials found in the contractor’s website.
3. Check The Contractors With The BBB – BBB stands for the Better Business Bureau. Check to make sure that the contractors are recognized by the agency, and passed their high quality of standards. Furthermore, checking the contractors with the BBB will allow you to get information if there are any pending cases, issues, or customer complaints filed against the contractors.
4. Call The Contractors – once you are done checking on the legitimacy and credibility of the contractors, call them. Make sure that you have listed all possible questions you have in mind, so that you will be able to make a quick comparison in the end.
Here are some questions you might want to ask:
Is your area serviceable? Do they give a free estimate of cost & completion? Do they hold a license to operate and work on home renovation? Do they have the best tools and equipment to help achieve the job fast and accurate? Do they provide a contract?
These are just some of the questions that you can ask the representative during your first call. After the call, the representative will ask for your preferred schedule, for a free visit from the contractors.
5. Compare – compare the different contractors once you have already gathered all of the necessary information from each of them. Get the one that offers more value to your money.
6. Contract – before signing anything with the contractors, make sure to read every clause there is in the contract. A good contract should include a liability insurance, a detailed list of the work, list of the supplies and materials to be used, warranty, and clean-up. Always ask questions if there is something confusing. Request revision of contract if needed.
7. Permits – ask your contractor if permits are needed for the home renovation project. If yes, ask if this will be covered under their responsibility.
8. Pay The Contractor – when you are fully convinced that this contractor will be able to do the job for you, go ahead and sign the contract. Pay the contractors. Ask your contractor about the mode of payment. Most often than not, contractors ask for 50% down payment before they start a project. Ask for receipt.
These are the different tips that you might want to consider, if you want to know how to work with contractors when choosing the best for your project.
D'Trenzo is a Singapore home renovation company creating unrivaled experiences through unique and customized interior designs.
Related Articles -
home renovation contractor, HDB renovation,