Gum disease is one of the most common problems among adults. It often develops slowly without showing any symptoms and pain. During the early stages, it is not easy to diagnose gum disease. Therefore, it is better to go for regular checkups with your dentist in Kilsyth |
Gum disease or periodontal disease is a chronic inflammation of the gums and surrounding supporting tissues caused by bacterial infection. Early stage of gum disease is referred as gingivitis and more advanced stage is called as periodontitis. Some common warning signs of this disease are:
Causes of gum disease: When plaque, sticky, colorless bacteria filled film is not removed everyday from your teeth then it will thicken and will transform into a harder form known as tarter. This is the primary cause of the gum disease, which will cause inflammation and bleeding in the gums. If this plaque is not removed regularly by brushing then it leads to gum disease - periodontitis. At this stage, the bacterial growth increases in the plaque and they produce toxins that irritate the gums and causes inflammation.
Other causes of gum disease are hormonal changes at the time of puberty, pregnancy and menopause. Some type of illness and disease such as HIV, diabetes and cancer may also cause gum infections.
In case of diabetes, the blood sugar ability of the patient is affected and such patients are at a high risk of developing infections. Some medications, smoking and poor hygienic habits are also the factors, which make it easier for gingivitis to develop. Common symptoms of Gum Disease:
- You suffer from chronic bad breath
- The fit of your dentures has changed
- Gums are pulling away from your teeth
- Gums appear red and tender
- Gums are swollen
- Your teeth feels loose
- Your may feel a change in your bite
- You notice puss in between your teeth
If you are experiencing any of the warning sign then schedule your appointment with your dentist in Kilsyth as soon as possible. If gingivitis is left untreated, it may lead to receding gums, gum pockets, tooth loss and bone deterioration.
Prevention of gum disease: Gum disease is completely preventable by following some regular hygienic tips such as
- Brushing your teeth with any natural solution such as botanical oil at least twice a day and make sure you also clean your tongue. It is better to use any fluoride toothpaste recommended by your dentist.
- Flossing is the procedure of clearing the gum pockets from bacteria. This should be done at least once a day to prevent the occurrence of gum disease.
- Take a healthy diet, full of nutrients and sugar. It is another way to prevent gum disease
- Have a regular visit with your dentist in Kilsyth for next level of treatment if required.
Gum disease is one of the common problems among adults, but most of them can be treated. We at MG Dental clinic, provide both advanced and general dental services. We have highly professional dentist in Kilsyth to maintain the standard and achieve excellent results.
Related Articles -
Dental care, Dentist Kilsyth,