Optical patch cords used as jumper cables, also called fiber optic jumpers, are often used between the optical transceiver and fiber terminal box. The main purpose of fiber optic jumpers detection is to ensure the quality of system connection, reduce the failure factors, and identify the fiber point of failure in the event of a failure. There are many detection methods which are mainly divided into artificial simple measurement and precision instruments measurement. |
- Artificial Simple Measurement: This method is generally used to rapidly detect the fiber jumpers' ON/OFF and distinguish fiber jumpers in construction. It uses a simple light source to infiltrate visible light into the fiber optic jumper from one end, and observe which one glows from the other side to achieve the detection. Although this method is simple, it can not quantitatively measure the attenuation and breakpoint of fiber optic jumpers.
Fiber optic jumper is mainly used in the engine room to realize the connections between the fiber terminal and the devices, the equipment and devices, and the ports of wiring closet. It is very commonly used in fiber optic networks. We found that in network maintenance, to make a good connection between fiber optic jumpers and fiber couplers (adapters), the fiber jumpers end face's cleanliness is an important factor, which directly affects the quality of network communications.
- Precision Instruments Measurement: Using the optical power meter or optical time domain reflectometer (OTDR) to quantitatively measure the fiber jumpers, the attenuation of fiber jumpers andconnectors can be measured, even the breakpoint position of fiber optic jumpers can be measured. This method can be used to quantitatively analyze the reasons of fiber optic networks' failure and evaluate optical networking products.
Fiber Jumper end face means the distal section of its two connectors. It is often an easily overlooked place, because of nonstandard operation, which can easily be contaminated. In the daily operation and maintenance to the light path, operating specifications should be strictly enforced to ensure the cleanliness of fiber jumpers face. If the fiber end face is polluted, we must follow standardized procedures for cleaning. Here are how to inspect fiber end face's cleanliness and the clean-up methods.
- Visual Inspection: Under normal circumstances the most common practice is to check the face dirt: Disconnect the device pick up the fiber jumpers against the light, by observing the side facing the bright light refraction to detect whether the end is clean and smooth. Through observation, if the end face of a smooth bright light reflection is considered relatively clean, if the side face of the light is reflected light and not too smooth, it is likely there is dirt or scratches end face of such face will seriously affect the quality of the optical transmission. Of course, with the end surface inspection apparatus can be more fully understand the details of the end surface.
Cleaning Methods In the fiber jumper end face inspection process, once the optical fiber end surface microscopy revealed the presence of fiber dirt, it must be properly cleaned to avoid triggering a decline in the quality of the communication problems. Each method has its own maintenance staff to do cleaning and maintenance, different cleaning methods to get different cleaning effect, if conditions permit, or the help of professional cleaning tools to help better. The importance of clean face a lot of companies now have noticed, and develop a variety of face cleaning tools, the author will introduce the following tools to assist in a professional and non-professional tools assisted two end cleaning methods.
- Instrument Checks: Currently fiber end face inspection tools for instrument more, which optical fiber microscope is the most widely used professional inspection equipment. Under normal circumstances for multimode fiber-optic microscope display magnification of 200 times, while for single-mode fiber-optic microscope display magnification of 400 times. More advanced fiber-optic microscope magnification can not only switch between the two, but also through the LCD screen displays the fiber end, and thereby not disconnect the device detects the fiber end, but also to avoid the risk of eye injury by laser.
In the absence of tools to assist in the case need to prepare ethanol, clean cotton balls, lens paper. Cleaning procedure is as follows.
In the cleaning process should use the right cleaning tools and cleaning steps if incorrect cleaning methods not only face clean ineffective, but also may cause permanent damage to the face. After cleaning, be sure to check again and then insert the connector end to ensure that contaminants have been completely removed. If necessary, you will need to be cleaned again again, in order to ensure complete removal of the first failed to clear the dirt, so that the end to keep clean.
- 1) Clean cotton ball in one hand, and then ethanol drops on cotton balls, alcohol should not drop too much.
- 2) With an anhydrous alcohol with a cotton wipe face along the same direction, the number of dirt under the end of the product.
- 3) Put a good face with an alcohol wipe three or more layers of the folded lens paper to wipe face in the same direction until the alcohol is completely dry and the end face of the light reflection of bright reflective so far.
- 4) Carefully examine each end to reflect the circumstances and phototabdus whether the fiber end face of residual debris and, if necessary, repeat the above steps 1-3 until the end clean flawless so far.
The above talking about fiber jumpers end face inspection and cleaning methods are simple and feasible, but in the usual course of operation and maintenance we should enhance the awareness of this aspect's cleaning. Because dust and oil will damage the fiber coupling, when the fiber jumpers are not in use, we must use protective sleeve to protecte the fiber optic connector, as well as to fiber couplers. Every time before the use of fiber jumpers we should clean the end face using a fiber paper. With cleaning consciousness, we can effectively reduce the fiber jumpers failures, and improve the quality of fiber optic lines and maintenance efficiency.
Related Articles -
optical patch cords, fiber optic jumper, fiber optic connector,