It comes at the end of every glorious summer and you know what that is… yep, it's back to school shopping. It doesn't matter how many kids you have to buy for, shopping for back to school apparel can get very expensive, especially with the ever-changing fashion trends and expensive brand names. So, how can you get everything your child needs and some of what she wants without disappointing her and burning a hole in your pocket? Luckily, you have a lot of options. |
Here are a few ways you can stick to your budget and keep everyone happy: 1. First and foremost, don't leave the house without a list. What essentials have the kids grown out of that they absolutely must have- think jeans, shoes, etc. Talk to your kids and see what they think they've got to have. You know- "Susie's got this pair of jeans or that graphic t-shirt so I want them too!" Important Disclaimer: For the list to work, you have to take it with you and follow it.
2. Ok, look over the list and come up with a budget that your family can afford. Let your kids know they may have to compromise if they want something out of the budget. If they just have to have those designer jeans, then they will get less in the way of shirts. However if it works out, stick to the budget!
3. See if your state, county or city is going to have a tax holiday weekend. This is becoming very popular for back to school shopping where you are exempt from paying taxes on clothes, computers and school supplies. You can save big bucks when you don't have to pay taxes plus, the stores might have big sales and at the same time to bring customers in. If your area doesn't do this, it might be worth suggesting it.
4. If your kids have to have branded stuff, visit the closest outlet mall or shop on-line. You may have to do some digging, but there are great deals to be had on quality clothes. For the basics, don’t be afraid to buy from the local retail stores. There are many great designers creating cool clothing lines for these shops at very reasonable prices.
5. Check out on-line auctions or organize a swap-meet with friends. When you can bid on an item, you set the maximum amount you want to spend on it. Hand-me-downs are great and cost nothing.
6. Another option for back to school apparel shopping is to check out the consignment and thrift stores in town. Retro and vintage are cool these days and these stores are often great sources for clothes. Thrift shops are also great for cool graphic tees that you won’t find anywhere else.
7. Finally, it is good to actually start early. Buy when the seasons change and things are on sale. Maybe not a good idea for jeans since they are hard to fit without trying on, but you can save on shorts, shirts, heavy coats and sweats if you buy them on clearance at season's end, just get the next size up.
It often takes a little effort, but you can outfit the kids in back to school apparel that will please everyone but won't break the bank. A little negotiating, planning and digging through the racks can pay off big in the long run.
The Uber Shop offers discount clothing for kids in their kids and baby catalog online. All products offered through The Uber Shop are name brand products, like Ralph Lauren and Nautilus, that are available at least 50% off retail. www.theubershop.com.
Related Articles -
discount Ralph Lauren Polo shirt, Ralph Lauren discount clothing, discount Ecko clothing,