One of the most fascinating things I find on television or in the movies is that everyone’s speech is clear and understandable. Whether the actors are playing hoodlums or heroes, whether the characters are from Harlem or Park Avenue, they all speak distinctly. This particular characteristic is a prerequisite for actors whether they are on stage or in front of the camera. |
Good diction is not just something for those in Hollywood however. Success in your business life depends in part on being understood when you speak. If your diction is not understood the 1st time you say something, then it is in your best interest to learn how to articulate your words more clearly.
One way to improve your diction is through voice training. Through my many years of teaching voice, I have found that everyone’s diction improves when they discover their true or real voice. It is remarkable to see and hear how this works. By changing the way you place your sound, you will find that you will talk more distinctly, no matter where you were born or what language you are speaking.
What voice placement refers to is the utilization of your chest to power and amplify your sound, something the majority of the population is not doing. As a people, we tend to rely on the throat and vocal cords for the production of our vocal sound. The mouth and nasal cavities also help in this production. However, there is a 5th resonator, the chest, which most people are not aware of and most definitely not using. This large cavity is responsible for a voice that has depth and breadth, two qualities lacking in most people’s voices.
When you can incorporate your chest into the production of your speaking voice (and also your singing voice), you will find that:
1. the pitch of your voice will be deeper – pitch refers to the highness or lowness of sound; You can articulate your words more clearly and you can find a better voice in the process. Don’t allow your lack of good diction to hinder your success in your life – either professionally or personally.
2. you will sound more mature;
3. your volume will automatically adjust to a normal level in which you will not be too loud or too soft;
4. you will gain control over your speed;
5. you will be able to increase your volume without shouting or yelling;
6. you will speak more clearly and more distinctly because of the control you have gained over what is coming out of your mouth.
The Voice Lady, Nancy Daniels, offers private, corporate and group workshops in voice and presentation skills as well as Voicing It! the only video training on voice improvement. If you would like to see a dramatic 'before' & 'after' video clip, start with Craig in the center of the page at Nancy's Voice Training Website. Then check out other Before & After video clips in the menu bar.
Related Articles -
clear dction, good diction, articulate your words, sound more mature, voice resonators, speak soft, speak loud, control speed, increase volume,