It may seem hard to believe, but you are not stuck with what you hear on recording equipment. You have a richer, warmer, more mature-sounding voice inside of you. |
Most people rely on their throat and vocal cords to do the majority of the work when speaking. However, when you change your voice placement, you will immediately notice a difference in the quality of your sound because your voice will be vibrating in your mid-torso region. Those who possess great voices are vibrating in that area because they are using their chest cavity as their primary sounding board and amplifier. In fact, were James Earl Jones to be in the same room as you, you would feel his voice vibrating in your chest because of his great depth and power.
The one characteristic which describes all resonant voices is that they are warm in quality. However, there are many other benefits which result just by changing how you place your sound.
Voice training is not just for actors or politicians. If the image you project is important to you, then do not ignore your speaking voice. What you hear on the recording is the truth. What you hear in your head is a lie. Change the way you place your voice and you will not only sound better, but you will also feel more confident as a result.
- You will sound more mature. Every voice which is powered by the chest cavity has that trait.
- Your volume will normalize. If you are soft-spoken, you volume will increase. If your voice is too loud, your volume will decrease. In both situations, these results are automatic.
- You will eliminate vocal abuse. If you are plagued with chronic hoarseness or a persistent sore throat (and you’re not sick), you will notice an immediate relief from those problems.
- You will be able to increase your volume without shouting which is called projection. Shouting hurts your throat and your listeners’ ears. Projection does neither.
- You will have greater vocal endurance. What this means is that you will be able to speak for greater lengths of time and still have energy.
- You will speak more distinctly. No matter what your background, your diction will improve. You will eliminate nasality. Because the chest is powering your voice, you will be less likely to send your vowels through your nose.
- You will be able to control your speed.
The Voice Lady, Nancy Daniels, offers private, corporate and group workshops in voice and presentation skills as well as Voicing It! the only video training on voice improvement. If you would like to see a dramatic 'before' & 'after' video clip, start with Craig in the center of the page at Nancy's Voice Training Website. Then check out other Before & After video clips in the menu bar.
Related Articles -
sound mature, deep voice, vibrate speaking, James Earl Jones voice, project voice, nasal voice, better voice, vocal abuse, soft spoken voice, loud voice,