Dog lovers know how it feels like when your pet asks for more food or treats. You love your dog and when you look at his cute face and those big eyes, you rarely help yourself not to reward him. However, not all treats are recommended for man’s best friend. Chocolate is one of those things that you should definitely avoid giving your dog. You might think that a little chocolate cannot hurt him and he definitely seems to enjoy it. Moreover, once your dog has tasted chocolate, he will definitely ask for more or smell it whenever it is at hand. In case you are wondering what to do when a dog eats chocolate accidentally, there are a few measures that you need to take. Depending on the size of your dog and the quantity of chocolate it has eaten, you will need to call your vet. Younger and larger dogs are less affected by this food than older and smaller dogs, but that does not mean they are out of danger. In case you were wondering what does chocolate do to dogs, here is what you need to know and how to react: |
The first symptoms of chocolate intoxication can appear within the first 6 to 12 hours. If you dog becomes hyper excited for no reason, restless, starts to vomit, has diarrhea or is extremely thirsty, all these could be signs. Think if you had any chocolate around the house and check to see if it is still there. It is vital to take measures from the first moment you discover that your dog has ingested this product, as your dog may suffer from serious problems unless treated properly. Once you call a vet, he will ask you regarding the breed and size of your dog, as well as the quantity and brand of chocolate he has ingested. Most vets administer hydrogen peroxide to dogs that have eaten something they shouldn’t have, a medicine that makes them vomit and thus eliminate everything in their stomach. In other cases, your dog might be given activated charcoal, which will prevent toxins from entering his bloodstream and again, make him vomit.
Other, more aggressive, treatments include IV fluids designed to calm the animal and help him eliminate all toxins. Many dog owners are tempted to stick their fingers down the throats of their dogs in an effort to make them vomit, but this is rarely effective and may even lead to other problems. So when you are not sure what to do when a dog eats chocolate, always call a vet and he will determine if your dog requires special attention or tell you what you need to do to avoid any problems. One thing you should keep in mind is not to take the task of treating your dog into your own hands. Chocolate is definitely something that should not be given to your furry friend, so you should make sure it is stored somewhere beyond his reach. Simple measures of precaution can help you have a healthy dog, without eliminating your favorite sweet from your life.
Do you want to know what does chocolate do to dogs? To find out what to do when a dog eats chocolate, please visit the website.
Related Articles -
what does chocolate do to dogs, what to do when a dog eats chocolate,