When the weather becomes chilly with the wind doing about 25knots, you know for sure that things are going to get rough from here onwards. The one thing that can keep you steady and the fire burning is redgum firewood. The good thing about this firewood is that it can burn for long and keep you warm. It is the most preferred variety of firewood for home heating because its heat value is 81 percent. |
You are probably wondering where redgum firewood comes from. It comes from the River red gum tree also known as Eucalyptus camaldulensis. It is an iconic Australian timber that has a smooth bark, which ranges from white to reddish brown in colour. The timber is used primarily for various interior and exterior furniture and other applications.
The popularity of the iconic redgum firewood is more so because it holds the reputation of being highly durable and the brilliant colours are definitely a bonus for the sore eyes. Although, it was commonly used for the purposes of street paving in the early 1800’s especially in Sydney, today it is widely sought owing to its multiple applications. This native Australian timber is used as railway sleepers, heavy construction, as primary firewood supplies, for framing, flooring, fencing, charcoal production, plywood and veneer, and wood turning.
Red Gum for your Needs!
The river red gum tree doesn’t need any introduction because its reputation precedes it! The river red gum tree is widely spread across the length and breadth of Australia and grows mostly along the rivers and hence the name. It is commonly found in mainland Australia except south-western South Australia and the eastern coastal areas of Victoria, New South Wales, and Queensland. Whether the need is for redgum sleepers or firewood, these trees provide just the finest and perfect timber!
Some of the most common residential uses of river red gum tree include:
• Firewood: If you have been thinking of stocking up your firewood supplies then river red gum offers the best solution. They are sourced primarily from the Mornington Peninsula and Swan Hill and the minimum quantity available is 1m3, which is approximately 1/2 tonne. Most top firewood suppliers will deliver them directly to your home.
• Boundary walls: Whether you are thinking of creating a strong fencing or wooden boundary wall redgum sleepers will offer you attractive colours along with strength and durability.
• Decking: Decking helps in creating highly practical, functional, and aesthetically pleasing spaces. This is where redgum sleepers can be used to create a timber deck that will remain your favourite outdoor space for several years to come.
• Panelling: Another quite common use of red gum plywood sleepers is internal panelling. It helps in creating warm, pleasant, and stylish interiors.
• Landscape: Apart from its use as redgum firewood, the timber is also considered an essential element of any landscape. One of the primary reasons for its use in landscaping is its colour, which varies from light shades of pink to deeper red and distinctively black. The texture of this timber is moderately coarse and along with its highly visible gum veins and interlocked grain, it makes for a great visual treat.
Author Bio: Jack Brennan is a writer specialising in different types of timber and their usage including redgum firewood. This article focuses on why river red gum is one of the most popular firewood supplies. He has also pointed out other uses including redgum sleepers for landscaping.
Related Articles -
Redgum Firewood, Firewood Supplies, Redgum Sleepers,