To create a compelling resume, it is essential to know when chronological versus functional resume format works best. Typically, there are 3 types of resume format: |
1. Functional, 2. Chronological or more precisely, Reverse chronological, 3. A combination of the two
Apparently, there are several variations of above mentioned three formats as well. You are free to select any resume format you prefer. However, there are certain situations where one format than other works better in selling your abilities and you.
Take a look at these 3 basic resume format
1. The functional resume format
Functional resume layout is also known as "skills resume" because it is a summary of your qualification organized by your experience, education, achievements, and skills, instead by a job. Truthfully, there is a microscopic emphasis on employer history.
When functional resume works best?
1. When you have several and significant gaps in employment history 2. When you intend to make a career change 3. When you have worked in number of different, unrelated jobs 4. When you are coming back to workforce after an extended absence or new to the workforce 5. When you have worked in one or two organizations for several years
Tips on using functional resume layout
- Highlight most relevant assets upfront in the resume for each job you are seeking - If you do not have much of formal work experience, then highlight your skills that can translate into such - Be honest, do not make stuff up 2. The Chronological resume format
This resume format is traditional, and still commonly appreciated by employers. Also, it is the easiest to write. Mention your most recent job listed first, hence, organize it in reverse order by an employer.
When chronological resume works best?
Employers like chronological resume layout because it is easy to read, in terms of candidate's employment history. This format highlights career growth and progression of a candidate.
1. When your job history indicates that you have progressed in responsibility steadily 2. When your most vital achievements occurred recently 3. When you have worked consistently and continuously with no significant gaps in employment 4. When you have held well-recognized, standard jobs for reputed companies.
Tips for using chronological resume layout
- Make sure given information is accurate since this format underlines your work history - Provide more details of the first couple of jobs provided this is your most relevant experience - Use exact dates of employment or termination or at least use exact month and year - In you adult career, if you have 10 years or more experience than do not mention fast food joints jobs you did in your high school.
Read here more about resume format 2015 trends
The combination (Chronological and Functional) Resume Format
A combination resume format takes the best features of both functional and chronological resume layout. In this format, you get the chance to:
1. Represent strong summary of your accomplishments and skills up-front (Functional format), 2. While providing a meticulous employment background that supports the statements stated in the first section.
When using combination resume format works best?
- When you have undertaken same job responsibilities everywhere, you have worked - When you are trying to make a career change
In case, you are applying for teaching job then you are required to make a CV (Curriculum Vitae). It is a much more detailed document though follows the basic layout from above mentioned three formats.
Related Articles -
resume, resume format, resume example, resume writing, resume guidelines, cover letter and resume, resume cover letter, professional resume,