Roofs are designed to protect the interior of the home from the elements. Unfortunately, Mother Nature can cause your roof to slowly deteriorate over time. Sun, wind, rain, snow, and ice are just a few of the elements that can wreak havoc on a roof. If your roof is leaking or missing shingles, if may be time to replace it. When considering a new roof in Fort Myers, it is important to consult a qualified roofing contractor to discuss your options. Read the following guide to get the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about roof replacement. |
How Can I Tell if My Roof Needs Replacing?
Unfortunately, many roof problems are not discovered until the homeowner notices leaking after heavy rains. Periodic roof inspections can help identify problems before they become serious. The following problems may indicate that your roof needs replacing:
• Cracked, warped, or missing shingles
• Blistering or peeling paint
• Loose seams or deteriorated flashings
• Excessive surface granules in the gutters or downspouts
• Leakage after heavy rains
• Water stains on the interior of the home
• Cracked paint, discolored plasterboard, or peeling wallpaper
• Chimney leaks
• Rotten soffit or fascia
Do I Need to Replace My Leaky Roof?
Not necessarily. Leaks that result from loosing flashing or a section of damaged roof can be repaired. However, a complete roof system failure resulting from substandard materials or improper installation must be completely replaced.
What Are the Options for Replacing My Roof?
The following are the 2 basic options for roof replacement:
• Re-cover: This option involves installing a new roof system over the existing roof system. Most building codes allow one re-cover before requiring a complete replacement.
• Complete Replacement: This option involves removing the existing roof system and replacing it with a new one.
Can I Do the Work Myself?
Although some homeowners may be tempted to do some or all of the work to save money, it is generally not advisable. Professional roofing contractors receive specialized training to efficiently and safely repair and replace roofs. Attempting to complete the work yourself could result in unintentional damage of the roof system or serious personal injury.
How Long Will a New Roof Last?
The life of a roof system is determined by a number of factors including the design, the materials, proper installation, the local climate, and proper maintenance of the structure. Most new roofs constructed from asphalt shingles are designed to last for 20 years. Other types of shingles including metal, tile, and slate can last significantly longer.
How Much Will a New Roof Cost?
The cost of a new roof can vary greatly depending upon the size of the home, the selected materials, the contractor, and the local labor rates. Prices can range anywhere from $4,000 for a small roof with asphalt shingles to $150,000 for a large roof with slate shingles. When shopping for a new roof, it is important to get at least 3 proposals from reputable local contractors to ensure that you are getting a fair price.
How Do I Choose the Right Roofing Contractor?
Purchasing a new roof is an important investment. When looking for a new roof in Fort Myers, it is important to carefully research all available roofing companies to ensure that you get the job done right the first time. Use the following guidelines to help find the right roofing contractor:
• Look for contractors that are certified by the National Roofing Contractors Association and licensed by your state’s professional licensing board.
• Ask for proof of liability coverage and workers’ compensation insurance.
• Ask for a list of client references and completed projects.
• Insist on a detailed, written proposal before work begins.
Saint Raphael Roofing Servicing anything in and around Fort Myers. St. Raphael Roofing is dedicated to complete customer satisfaction no matter where you’re located in Southwest Visit our page on http://www.saintraphaelroofing.com to see our page today!
Related Articles -
New, roof, Fort, Myers,