Caring for your teeth is one of the most important things you can do. Doing so can help to preserve them over time and keep your smile beautiful. Everyone knows that you should get dental care in Peachtree City once every six months for a cleaning and checkup. However, did you know that the 6 month rule was originally propaganda from a tooth paste company? Your dentist should actually be the one to recommend how often you should visit his office. Along with this, there are plenty of other interesting dental facts that your probably didn’t know.
- On average, Americans will spend over 38 days brushing their teeth in their lifetimes.
- The first licensed female dentist was Lucy Beamann Hobbs. She began practicing in 1866.
- Whether you are right handed or left handed will affect the way you chew. Those who are right handed will chew on the right side. Those who are left handed will chew on their left side.
- Those who drink more than 3 glasses of soda pop each day will have 62% more tooth decay and cavities than those who don’t/
- Flossing accounts for cleaning over 40% of the surface of a tooth.
- It is recommended that you take 2-3 minutes each time your brush. However, most people only brush for 45 to 70 seconds per day.
- Red toothbrushes are purchased and used less than blue tooth brushes are.
- Everyone’s tongues are different and contain different taste buds.
- The first dental floss was produced commercially in 1882.
- The first known dentist lived in Egypt over 5,000 years ago. His name was Hesi-Re.
- Centuries ago, twigs were used as the first toothbrush. People would chew on the tips of the branches which would cause the fibers to spread apart. It was then used to brush the teeth.
- Irene Newman was the first dental hygienist. She was trained to clean teeth in 1905.
- Talc, coral powder, and iron rust are just a few of the different substances the ancient Greeks used as toothpaste.
- It is a myth that George Washington had wooden teeth. As a matter of fact, his false teeth were made of gold, hippopotamus teeth, elephant ivory, and even human teeth.
- Humans produce over 25,000 quarts of saliva and spit in a lifetime.
- The Mayans used to drill into their teeth in order to make them look more ornate. Many times, they would fill the holes with gemstones. Some would even shape them to have different designs.
- Babies begin growing their teeth while still in their mother’s womb, about 6 weeks after conception.
- The nylon bristled toothbrush most often used today was first invented in 1938. Teeth contain the hardest substance in the body; enamel.
- By keeping your teeth clean and healthy, you reduce the chance of heart attacks.
- Children have 20 teeth while adults have 32.
- The common cold is the most common disease in the United States. However, tooth decay is the 2nd most common.
- The first braces to be placed on teeth were invented in 1915 by Dr. Edward Angle. His designs for brackets were used up until the 1970s.
- Swiss, cheddar, and Monterey jack cheeses can all help to prevent your teeth from decaying.
- 80% of people who have had braces get them before the age of 20.
- In China, September 20th is ‘Love Your Teeth Day’.
While it’s fun to learn more about dentistry, it’s more fun to take care of your teeth. By brushing and flossing daily, you can reduce your chance of decay and cavities. By finding the right dental care in Peachtree City, you can be sure that your smile will be brightening rooms for years to
Related Articles -
dental, care, peachtree, city,