Did you just move into a new house? Or are you simply in need of a change? One of the most important aspects of designing a room is the furniture. Different types and styles of furniture can completely transform the look of any room, but how do you choose what type of furniture would be best? Continue reading below to find out how. Once you have done all of your research, you can visit Crowley Furniture or a store in your area, and find the perfect pieces for the room you are designing. |
What to Think about Before Buying Furniture • First of all, take a lot of measurements. Measure the length and width of the room, as well as any alcoves. Also, save yourself a future headache and measure the width of the doorways and other entryways to the room. The last thing you want when you bring your furniture home is to have it get stuck when you go to install it.
• Start to think about how different items of furniture could be arranged in your selected room. There are a few ways you can do this. You can sketch it out on a piece of paper, or even graph paper if you want it to be more exact. You can also use painters tape to block out where different pieces will go so you can see what it will look like in the space.
• Decide how you will be using the room. You probably wouldn't use the same furniture in an office as you would in a living room. When you are thinking about this, be honest with yourself about your lifestyle. For example, if you have three dogs and a four-year-old, you may want to avoid white furniture.
• Consider existing furniture and architecture. If you plan to integrate new pieces in with your current furniture, make sure that they will look good together. Also, it is wise to coordinate the style of your furniture with the architectural design elements of the room.
• Come up with a budget that you are comfortable with before you start shopping. Look for pieces within your price range, and take your time to find the best price.
Things to Consider When Selecting Pieces of Furniture • Invest in pieces that are sturdy and have high-quality fabrics. These may cost a bit more, but they will last longer and probably save you money in the long run. Also, spills and stains are somewhat inevitable, so stain-resistant fabric is also a good idea.
• Check the quality of the finish. It should be even with no bubbles or signs of brush strokes, and it should not be used to cover up flaws.
• When examining cushions, look for a defined shape. The corners and curves should be neat, seams should be subtle, and it should have an overall plump look. Also, don't forget to check and make sure you think the cushions are comfortable.
• Look underneath the cushions and take a look at the structure. Now, this part of the chair is hidden, so it probably won't be perfect, but there are a few design flaws that you should keep your eye out for. For example, if you find loose screws or unprotected springs or an inefficient support system, you may want to look at something else.
• Ensure that all of the pieces of furniture going in the same room look nice together. Your couch and coffee table may be beautiful separately, but completely ruin the overall aesthetic of the room, because their styles clash.
There is a lot that goes into purchasing furniture, but it will all be worth it in the end. You can really make a room your own with a personalized selection of furniture. If you're ready to start your search for your perfect furniture, check out the inventory at Crowley Furniture or a furniture store near you.
Related Articles -