The pretty Portuguese fishing town of Peniche lies on Portugal’s Silver Coast - the country’s famous surfing area - making it an ideal location for family activity holidays with surfing at their heart. |
Most surfers agree that Peniche is unique on the Silver Coast for offering such a wide variety of different surf conditions within a small area. From the infamous Supertubos, known as one of Europe’s most exciting beach breaks, to the smaller waves found on the sheltered south side of the town, there is something for all levels of surfer here.
A beach break on the more challenging northern side of Peniche with a long enough beach to guarantee plenty of space. The waves are strong and long with some tubulars.
• Can be surfed at all tides • North swell • Wind is from east and south • Wave size is up to 2 meters
Again to the north of Peniche, Almagreira is a beach with some rocks at low tide but long waves and tubulars on a good day.
• Best surfing at low to high tide • Swell is north/west • Wind is from east and south • Wave size is up to 2 meters
Lagide, to the north, is a reef with long lefts and big swells.
• Can be surfed at all tides but half-tide, rising is when it’s best • The swells are northern and north-western • Wind is from south and east • Waves can be up to 4 meters
Praia Norte Beach
Thanks to its secluded aspect in a bay just above Peniche, Praia Norte, with its long sandy beach and multiple peaks, is a great place for beginners to learn to surf.
• Best surfed at low tide • The swells are west and north • Wind is from the south and east • Waves can reach 3 meters
Molhe Leste Beach
To the south of Peniche is Molhe Leste Beach, with its right-hand point break forming on a sandy seabed. There are some great waves here, with long, tubular sections.
• Best surfed from high to low tide • The swells are western and southern • Wind is from north and east • Waves can reach 3 metres
Medão Grande Beach
Probably the most famous surfing spot on Portugal’s Silver Coast, Medão Grande Beach is the home of Supertubos. The sandy beach offers spectacular tubular waves for confident surfers.
• Best surfed at low to full tide • The swells are southern and western • Wind is from north and east • Waves can be up to 4 meters
The surfing is good here with short, round waves, but watch out for the stone bench where the waves break. Good to surf when the swells are big.
• Best surfed at full tide • The swells are western and south-eastern • Wind is from east and northeast • Waves can reach 3 meters
The surf at Porto Batel offers a good variety of waves with a reef break on one side and a left-hand point break on the other. Great when the swells are big.
• Best surfed at middle tide • The swells are southern and western • Wind is from north and east • Waves can reach 3 meters
My recommended accommodation option for family activity holidays in Peniche is the Surfers Lodge, which has its own Surf Academy for those wanting to surf for the first time or improve during their stay. A grown-up surfers’ paradise, Surfers Lodge combines an easy, laidback vibe with shabby-chic style and great creature comforts. Expect locally sourced food and wine in the restaurants and a chance to hang out with fellow surfers in the cool reclaimed wooden bar in the evening.
The Perfect Surfing Package
As surf fan myself, I know what a fantastic family activity holiday it can be, so I’ve put together a great package at Peniche with a love of surf at its heart. Stay for three nights and we’ll organise 5 surf lessons for you with the professional teachers at the Surf Academy. They’ll make sure that all the members of your family fall in love with riding the amazing waves on the Silver Coast.
Richard Edwards is the Managing Director of Summit & Blue, an adventure holiday company offering independently crafted family activity holidays to exciting destinations around the world, including France, Italy, Portugal, the USA and Canada. With unique itineraries and exciting activities like biking, hiking, white water rafting and canoeing, we create holidays for those looking for an experience a little more off the beaten track.
Related Articles -
Family, activity, holidays,