Water damage can be devastating no matter how it happens. Floods, burst pipes, and leaky roofs can all cause serious damage to your home. If you notice water trickling from the ceiling, it’s time to act quickly to both identify and stop the problem. From calling a roof repair company in Lawrenceville to turning off the water, here are a few tips to help you minimize the damage before it gets out of control.
- Place a bucket under the leak. You don’t want the dripping water to hit the floor below it and cause more serious issues. Instead, place a bucket, bowl, or pot underneath the leaky ceiling until you can get the problem solved.
- Poke a small hole in the ceiling to keep it from collapsing. If the ceiling is bulging and dripping, it’s in danger of completely buckling. If this happens, it is difficult and costly to fix. To prevent a collapse from occurring, there is something you can do. Using a knife, nail, or screw, put a small hole in the area where the water is pooling. By creating a small hole, you relieve some of the pressure and allow it to drain into the bucket that you’ve placed below.
- Try to determine where the leak is coming from. If you’ve got water coming through the ceiling, there are two places it could be coming from; a leaky roof or faulty plumbing. To narrow it down, establish when the leak is happening. If the water only trickles down during a storm, chances are it’s a problem with the roof. If it’s not raining outside and you notice water dripping through the ceiling, it’s most likely a plumbing issue.
- Turn off the water if necessary. If the problem is with your roof, you’ll need to call a professional to locate the leak and repair it. If you find that it’s a plumbing problem, turn off the water to prevent more damage. You may be able to locate the leak coming from a toilet or shower. If that’s the case, you simply need to shut off the valve pumping water to those fixtures.
- Call in the professionals. To repair the damage, it’s always best to call in the professionals. Trying to fix the leak yourself could result in further problems and more expenses in the future. First, call a roofing repair company or plumber if needed. Then, you’ll need to deal with the damage that the leak has already caused. Call a flood cleanup company to ensure that your home gets the attention that’s needed. Experts who deal with flooding will test your walls for moisture and remove any damaged drywall. They also have the equipment needed to ensure that your belongings are dried out and the area is well ventilated.
If you find water leaking through the ceiling, you need to act quickly. The longer that water is trickling down, the more damage it will do not only to the structure of your home, but to your belongings as well. Call the necessary roof repair company in Lawrenceville to help you stop and repair any of the issues that might have been caused by the water. Acting fast could save your home from irreparable structural damage.
Related Articles -
roof, repair, company, Lawrenceville,