If you tend to wash anything and everything down the drains of your bathroom and kitchen, you’ve probably dealt with a slow drain more than a few times. This is because your drains aren’t designed to handle certain substances. While there are many things that are okay to rinse down your drains, it’s important to understand the dos and don’ts of drain care to ensure that things flow properly. Here are a few things that your plumber in Elmira, NY wants you to know about caring for your plumbing system.
- Don’t dump your alcohol down the drain without reading the label first. You might think that beer and alcohol are okay to dump down the drain. While they don’t contain any fatty substances that could cause buildup, it’s illegal to dump any substance with an alcohol concentration of more than 24%. Make sure you read the label before you begin pouring; otherwise you could be doing more harm than good.
- Do install a drain filter. One of the biggest drain clogging culprits in your bathroom is hair. Prevent hairballs from blocking the flow of water by installing a drain filter. This catches the strands of hair and prevents them from building up. At the end of the day, simply clean the filter and put the debris in the trash can.
- Don’t put grease and oil down your drain. Bacon grease, fat from meats, coconut oil, and even olive oil all add flavor to food and make cooking easier. While they might make it easier to cook though, they don’t do your plumbing system any favors. When put down the drain, it tends to coat the inside of the pipes and slowly cause a buildup. Instead of putting it down your drain, place all grease and oil in a glass jar and throw it in the trash.
- Do run water when turning on your disposal. When you do have food that is safe to put in your disposal, be sure to flip the water on. This helps to push food particles through your disposal system and through the pipes, keeping things flowing as they should.
- Don’t put eggshells and coffee grinds into your drain or disposal. First off, these hard items are difficult for your disposal to grind up as it should. If it does make it pass the disposal, chances are you’ll have all sorts of backup and issues. Play it safe and throw them in the trash instead.
- Don’t use hot water to wash things down your drain. While it might seem like the easiest way to rid your pipes of unwanted particles, it can cause any grease and oil to liquefy. This may end up causing a clog further down the pipes.
- Do call a professional when needed. If your pipes are suffering from buildup, it’s time to call a professional. Experts have the tools needed to snake out your pipes and remove all clogs. Don’t attempt to clear things yourself. Because your plumbing system is complex, you run the risk of causing a leak or larger issue that could be costly to repair.
- Don’t put acid down your drain. While there are plenty of drain cleaners and acid solutions out there, buyers beware. These chemical compounds might seem to do the trick for the time being, but they leave the inside of your pipes damaged and burned. Over time, this could eat away at your pipes and cause major issues.
Taking care of your pipes is the best way to avoid calling your plumber in Elmira, NY. By following these tips and tricks, your drains will be flowing properly and you’ll avoid back up.
Related Articles -
Plumber, Elmira, NY,