Want some mindboggling facts about cycling, this thread is just for the likes of you. |
1. Currently, there are over 1 billion bikes in use, in all of the worlds (UK alone has 20 million bikes) and thanks to people buying bicycles, the sporty invention helps annually save 238 million gallons of gas.
2. If you compare one year cost of both, bicycle and car maintenance, you will come to know that bicycle maintenance is 20x times less expensive as compared to car maintenance.
3. Buy bicycles – you will do good to your environment. Energy and resources required to manufacture one single car can be used to manufacture up to 100 bicycles.
4. It is encouraged to buy bicycles as cycling is known to reduce heart attacks, melt fats and do good to your health. Cycling also conserves parking spaces for example, in place of parking one single car, 6 – 20 bicycles can be accommodated. 5. The history of cycling is pretty old. History tells us that the first documented cycling race was held in 1868 in Paris. It was a 1200m race.
6. Pneumatic tire was invented in 1887 by John Dunlop. It is regarded as one of the most important milestones in the global spread of bicycles.
7. The credit of the oldest operating bicycle racing club goes to St. Louis Cycling Club. It was founded in 1887 and has been operational ever since. From the start of its inception, the club has sponsored numerous bike racing events. In fact, the USA gets the credit for having 400+ cycle clubs.
8. The first mountain bike was invented in 1997
9. 90% of all bike trips are less than 15 kilometers but if you travel 16 kilometers on a bicycle (10 miles), you will burn 360 calories, save up to ?€10 and do good for the environment, considering if you travel by car, 5 kg CO2 is produced. In other words, you just reduced CO2 production in the world by buying a bicycle.
10. As a cheap alternative to moto races, BMX bikes were created in the 70s.
11. 10% of NYC’s workforce, 36% of Copenhagen’s workforce and 40% of all Amsterdam’s population, travels via bikes.
12. Austrian cyclist Markus Stöckl had a crazy idea of driving a cycle down a volcano hill. He road an ordinary bicycle but he was able to achieve a speed of 164.95 km/h
13. In the early 1900s, it was extremely common to participate in a 6-day long bicycle race. The winner was decided based upon covering the greatest distance in the 6-day time period. As everyone wants to win, the bikers were reported to get extremely fewer amounts of sleep and would often hallucinate on the tracks.
14. Astonishingly, paved roads got worldwide attention due to the popularity of specialized road bikes. The reason is that automobiles can fairly travel across cobblestones while bicycles cannot. 15. The first person to travel the world on his bicycle was Fred A. Birchmore. He gets the credit for peddling 25000 miles. He traveled the other 15000 miles on the boat. During his journey, he had to replace 7 sets of tires.
Related Articles -
buy bicycles, specialized road bicycles,