Anyone trying to get rid of belly fat knows that it can be a struggle. It hangs on and hangs around no matter how many sit-ups you do or how far you run everyday. The body tends to hang onto belly fat because it is the main storage area for future energy needs. The problem usually comes down to excess calories at the end of the day and the result is a struggle to get rid of that extra layer of fat. |
Age, weight, body composition, hormone changes, lean muscle mass, diet, genetics, stress and physical activity can all play a role in a person's metabolism. Some of these things we have control over, others we are born with and can't do much about. If we concentrate on what we can change then boosting our metabolism becomes easier to accomplish. And with that we can burn away the excess fat that has been plaguing us.
Here are 11 tips that can help you increase your metabolism and get rid of that unsightly belly fat.
1. Build some muscle – Our metabolism slows down as we age, there's just no way to get around this basic physiological fact. But we can help slow down this process with exercise, and in particular some from of resistance or weight training. Nothing burns calories quite like lean muscle mass and the more you have the more calories you burn, even while sitting on the couch doing nothing. Doing aerobic exercise is also a good way to burn excess calories and build up the cardiovascular system, but the long term benefits are not the same as lifting some weights and building muscle.
2. Breakfast – Eat breakfast everyday. Ignoring breakfast keeps your metabolism from getting properly fired up at the beginning of the day. In fact most people who eat a healthy breakfast everyday have fewer weight problems and health issues then people who skip this most important of meals.
3. Stay Away from Sugar – Sugar is the bane of anyone trying to lose weight. The human body quickly and easily digests and metabolizes it, quickly converting it into fat storage. Overloading the body with refined sugar causes is thought to be the reason that we are seeing such large increases in obesity and diabetes as well. Complex carbohydrates found in fruits, vegetables, and high fiber foods are the way to go, providing a steady supply of energy through out the day.
4. Eat Spicy Foods – Any food that makes you sweat naturally raises your metabolism.
5. Get 8 Hours of Sleep – Research indicates that people who do not get enough sleep actually gain weight. It is thought that because sleep is the time when the body heals and regenerates itself that not getting enough sleep does not take advantage of this.
6. Drink Lots of Water – Water is vitally important to every biological system in the body. It is the lubricant that keeps us going and the fluid that helps flush toxins and waste products out of the body.
7. Eat Smaller Meals – This doesn't mean eat less; it means eat 5 to 6 small meals spread out evenly through out the day. This will give the body a constant supply of energy and help prevent binge eating.
8. Don't Skip Meals – A was mentioned earlier skipping meals can actually lead to a metabolism slow down, having the opposite effect of what you may intend.
9. Have a Meal Plan – Making a weekly menu makes it mush easier to stick with a diet. It will also make grocery shopping quicker and cheaper.
10. Green Tea – Unlike coffee, which stresses the endocrine and nervous system with caffeine, green tea will boost you metabolism naturally and efficiently.
11. You are What You Eat – Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean cuts of meat are high energy foods that you should include in your diet. They provide sustained energy through out the day and help prevent blood sugar spikes and deficits that lead to snacking during the day.
If you want to get rid of belly fate then boosting your metabolism is the best way to accomplish this. By following these 11 tips you can create a fat burning plan that will soon give you the firm toned stomach you have always wanted.
For more tips to boost your metabolism and get rid of belly fat, and for more information about your metabolism and how it works please click here.
Related Articles -
get rid of belly fat, rid of belly fat, lose belly fat, reduce belly fat, getting rid of belly fat,