Phishing, which refers to the activity of acquiring confidential information such as usernames, passwords and credit card details fraudulently, is a serious issue capable of causing irreparable damage. The success of phishing can be attributed to the fact that the hackers employ social engineering tactics to lure victims. Social engineering is nothing but manipulating people psychologically and forcing them to divulge sensitive information. In the case of phishing emails, hackers create fraudulent emails that appeal to the vanity, authority and greed of the people and thereby manipulate people to perform actions. So how to protect yourself from phishing attacks? Is technology the solution to this problem? |
Today, phishing has taken the center stage and though much have been said andwritten about it, phishing attacks continue to rise exponentially. Emails are the most common and popular form of phishing because of its high open rates. In the case of phishing emails, more than technology, people have an important role to play. So how to ensure protection against email phishing fraud?
As phishing emails rely on human vulnerabilities, the solution must be something that adequately addresses this aspect. The current products and services typically address the "process and technology" aspect of security. However, as mentioned above, when it comes to phishing attacks people are the greatest risk. Therefore, the solution must be a social engineering solution that helps people to see through deceptive emails.
Addressing people risk is the most effective approach to combat phishing and with social engineering solutions, people can increase their awareness about phishing. The solution assesses and trains people on the risks of phishing and thereby helps them to identify their weaknesses. Given below are the benefits of using a social engineering solution. * Helps understand user behavior and effectiveness of the People controls across the enterprise.
* Assists organizations quantify the potential risks from social engineering.
* Provides flexible reporting capabilities with integration back into the organization's key performance indicator framework.
* Provides a road map for building security awareness and training within the organization.
* ldentifies weakness within People, Process and Technology links, allowing prioritization of remediation efforts through effective benchmarking and maturity analysis.
* Generates a "Teaching Moment" that provides a safe, customized learning experience for users – resulting in increased employee awareness and knowledge that helps protect the sensitive information entrusted to them.
With phishing being a serious menace, people risk needs to be addressed effectively in order to prevent them from becoming baits.
Read More about: Brands Targeted By Phishing Attacks, How To Protect Against Phishing Scams, Anti Phishing Software To Protect Against Sophisticated Phishing, Enterprise Spear Phishing Definition
Related Articles -
Brands Targeted By Phishing Attacks, How To Protect Against Phishing Scams, Anti Phishing Software To Protect Against Sophisticated Phishing, Enterpri,