Baytown, Texas, is a coastal town along the Gulf of Mexico. It sits on the banks of a small cove, and has a population of approximately 76,000. But how does Baytown measure up when it comes to crime rates? Is it safer than the national average, or more dangerous? Keep reading to learn more about Baytown crime rates for violent crimes, property crimes, and more.
In Baytown, there is an average of 241 violent crimes every year, or 3.17 violent crimes per 1,000 residents in the city. This includes murders, rapes, robberies, and assaults. The national median for violent crimes is 3.8 per 1,000 American citizens, which means that Baytown is only slightly below the average for the country. It is, however, lower than the average for the state of Texas; the Lone Star State experiences 4.06 violent crimes per 1,000 residents every year.
When broken down into more specific categories, here's how Baytown's violent crimes measure up to violent crimes across the country:
- Baytown experiences an average of 5 murders per year, or 0.07 murders per 1,000 residents. The United States experiences 14,249 murders, or 0.04 per 1,000 citizens. So the number of murders each year in Baytown is slightly higher than the average for the country.
- There is an average of 32 rapes per year in Baytown, or 0.42 per 1,000 people. This is slightly higher than the national average as well; the United States reports 116,645 rapes per year, or 0.37 per 1,000 Americans.
- Baytown is also slightly higher than the national average in robberies, with an average of 84 reported per year, or 1.1 per 1,000. The United States reports 1.02 robberies per 1,000 citizens, or an average of 325,802 per year.
- However, the city of Baytown is well below the national average in number of assaults per resident; Baytown has an average of 120 assaults or 1.58 per 1,000 residents every year. The national average is much higher, with 741,291 assaults reported per year, and an average of 2.32 assaults per 1,000 US citizens.
So what does this mean for you as a resident of Baytown? Well, in the state of Texas, your odds of becoming a victim of a violent crime are 1 in 246. In Baytown specifically, the odds of this happening are 1 in 316.
When it comes to property crimes--including burglary, theft, and motor vehicle theft--both Baytown and Texas in general come out above the national median of 26 property crimes per 1,000 citizens. Texas is a little bit above this number, with an average of 30.19 property crimes per 1,000 Texans. Baytown, however, is well above the average, with a reported 41.51 property crimes per 1,000 residents reported every year. This comes out to a total of 3,160 property crimes reported every year, on average.
So here is the breakdown of the different types of crime and their frequency in Baytown as compared to the rest of the United States:
- Baytown reports an average of 638 burglaries every year, or 8.38 per 1,000. The national average is 1,729,806 burglaries per year, or 5.43 per 1,000 Americans.
- 2,094 people in Baytown report a theft each year, which comes out to an average of 27.51 thefts per 1,000. The United States reports only 18.37 thefts per 1,000 citizens, or an average of 5,858,496 thefts each year.
- Motor vehicle thefts are also higher in Baytown, with 428 per year, or 5.62 per 1,000 residents. This is much higher than the national average of 2.16 per 1,000, or 689,527 per year.
This means that your odds of becoming a victim of property crime in Baytown are 1 in 24. Overall, on a scale of 1 to 100 (with 100 being the safest) Baytown only scores a 9 on the crime index. If you have more questions about Baytown crime, have been a victim of a crime, or are being accused of a crime, speak to a lawyer in the area.
Related Articles -