Dental work is an important part of your overall health. You will want to stay up to date with visits and have your teeth cleaned, and gums checked regularly. As with any health issues, the sooner you detect a concern, the easier it typically is to find a solution or cure. If, for some reason, you have to have a permanent tooth pulled, you will want to research the options that you have to replace it. A missing tooth may or may not be visible. If it is, however, it can make you feel self-conscious when talking or smiling. If you have a tooth missing farther back in your mouth, it can impact your eating or possibly the spacing of your other teeth. You will find that some of the best dental implants in Atlanta, or at your local dentist, can make a big difference in this situation.
What Is a Dental Implant?
An implant is basically an artificial tooth root that is place in your mouth. It is made of titanium and bone-like ceramic material. This pin is placed into your jawbone in most cases. Your dentist will work to make sure that the bone you have in that area is high enough and strong enough to support the implant. If there is a question about that, they can work to build up the jawbone before you get your implant. After that step is taken, a crown will be placed on the pin to finish up the new tooth. Typically, a few weeks will pass in between these steps.
Advantages of an Implant
There are many advantages to having an implant, as opposed to other options. The American Dental Association has stated that more than 5.5 million implants are done each year. That says that they are well received with most patients. Here are some of the benefits of implants:
- You are able to clean an implant just as you do your other teeth. These are permanent fixtures in your mouth, so don't have to take them in and out for cleaning or soaking. You will just brush and floss as you do with all your other teeth.
- An implant will not shift or slip like dentures may. This will give you the same security and stability as you have with your natural teeth.
- When you fill the hole left by a missing tooth, you help to preserve the other teeth in your mouth. It also helps to maintain your jawbone and the shape of your face.
- An implant doesn't rely on the teeth next to it to keep it in place, like a bridge would. This allows those neighboring teeth to be left alone and remain strong.
- This option is also very cosmetically pleasing. They look much better than an open space and will allow you to eat, speak, and smile with ease.
Is an Implant a Good Option for You?
If you have healthy gums, enough jawbone to support an implant, and are in good overall health, you could be an ideal candidate to have an implant. Remember, you can have the bone built up if necessary, so don't let that concern stop you from exploring this solution. You may have to consider certain illnesses that you have, and some could be a deterrent. A dentist will be able to help you identify any issues. Smoking can also have a negative impact on this procedure.
If you have a need, you will want to explore the implant process. There are several advantages to this treatment option. Check with your dentist to determine if the best dental implants in Atlanta, or in your area, are right for you!
Related Articles -
best, dental, implants, atlanta,