Your carpet sees more action than any other area in your home. While you might think that the surface of your carpet suffers the most damage from pets, toddlers, and adults, there’s more going on beneath the surface. If you think about all of the places your shoes go every day, they are probably full of bacteria. From bathrooms, stores, parking lots, and schools, all of the germs that stick to your soles are then making their way into your home and onto your carpet. It’s estimated that your carpet is more than 4,000 times dirtier than your toilet seat. With over 200,000 bacteria per square inch, it’s important to keep your carpet clean and replace it with new carpet from a flooring store in Bel Air, MD, when needed. So just what will you find in the fibers of your flooring?
- Dust Mites. Dust mites are microscopic bugs that can be found in your carpets and bed. They feed off the dead skin cells that flake off your body and fall to the ground. These pesky pests are frequently the cause of allergies and asthma. The only way to rid your carpet of dust mites is by exposing them to a thorough steam cleaning.
- Fleas. If you have pets living in your home, fleas could be present in your carpet. Even if Fido isn’t scratching, eggs and larvae could be nesting in your flooring. These tiny little pests love carpet because it closely resembles the fur of animals. Once they have hunkered down, they will eat, defecate, reproduce, and bite your family members to their hearts’ content. Having your carpets cleaned professionally is a great way to ensure that fleas don’t get too comfy in your carpet.
- Bacteria and Viruses. Most of the bacteria and viruses tracked through your carpet are brought in by shoes. Some of them, like the norovirus, can survive on carpet for over a month. Streptococcus and other bacteria are also commonly found. If left uncleansed, these bacteria and viruses on your carpet could make your family seriously sick.
- Mold. Even if you vacuum regularly, your carpet could be growing mold. Humidity, oxygen, and warm weather all encourage the growth of mold. If you neglect to clean up spills quickly, the moisture can seep down deep into the carpet pad. From there, mold can easily grow and spread. Over time, this poses serious health issues for your family. If you smell something that resembles mold or mildew, it may be time for a professional cleaning or carpet replacement.
- Fecal Matter. As disgusting as it sounds, most carpet contains a fair amount of fecal matter. This is because feet and shoes walk in and out of bathrooms. The spores and bacterial traces stick to the soles of your shoes or bottom of your feet and end up in the fibers of your carpet. This is can easily make your pets and family members ill if left unchecked.
Even if you vacuum regularly, there is still a good chance that your carpet contains at least a few of these contaminants. Having your flooring cleaned professionally is the best way to get rid of bacteria and other disgusting things. Over time, all carpet will need to be replaced. As fibers wear down and the protective coating comes off, it becomes more difficult to thoroughly clean carpets. Don’t let dirty carpet pose health concerns for your family. Instead, head to a flooring store in Bel Air, MD, and pick out new carpet that not only spruces up your space, but is free of all of these nasty things.
Related Articles -
flooring, store, bel, air, md,