I received an interesting account in my Facebook today regarding the use of K9 Advantix II, flea and pet medication for dogs. The writer applied the flea and tick medication to her 20 pound Jack Russell/Rat Terrier dog. She had used Frontline before with no ill effects. The next day, the dog displayed severe vomiting, diarrhea and a low temperature. Twenty-six hours after the application the dog was unable to move, bark, or blink. An emergency trip to the veterinarian revealed the dog’s kidneys were starting to fail. |
Research indicates the high level of permethrin in the K9 Advantix II treatment may have severe effects on dogs, especially small breeds. It has caused neurological damage, seizures, strokes, vomiting, diarrhea, and death for some dogs. The product label does state not to use on cats as it can be fatal for cats.
The K9 Advantix II Product contains Imidacloprid + Permethrin which is a topical insecticidal agent used in dogs once a month to kill and repel fleas, ticks, mosquitoes and biting flies. Imidacloprid + Permethrin is an insecticidal agent. With additional research and customer reviews, I found several pet owners whose pets had adverse side effects from this product. One dog began having seizures, another dog broke out with blisters all over his body, and a third pet owner accidentally dropped it on the linoleum floor and it melted the floor.
As I have mentioned in previous articles, my Maltese dog has Autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) an immune system disease in which the body attacks and destroys its own red blood cells. She had been placed on prednisone for over a year. She was doing well when I took her to the vet for her annual vaccinations, so the vet took her off the prednisone. However, after her DHPPC, Rabies, and Lymes Booster shots she started displaying the AIHA symptoms again. She is back on prednisone and a hypoallergenic dog food to try and put the AIHA back into remission. There is inconclusive research that indicates some of the medications often prescribed for animals may have more adverse reaction effects than what the medication is purported to resolve.
I like the response from one reader that states that she conducts research on all the drugs and/or medications for herself and her pets before taking them. Just because it is a prescription from a doctor or a vet doesn’t always mean it is right for her. She conducts the research, weighs the risks versus the benefits then makes an informed decision whether it is right for her or her pets.
I know that in the future, I will be conduct research on any medication to be given to my Maltese before actually administering the medication. It appears her AIHA is easily triggered and the reaction to various medications may not be worth what the medication treats.
Related Articles -
Dog Diseases, Dog Medication, Dog Health, Care of Dogs, Dog Safety,