You've waited for this day-your beloved has gotten down on one knee and offered you a sparkling diamond ring in exchange for your hand in marriage. Yes! You get to go shopping for a wedding gown! Slow down though because the whole process can be more daunting than you think. |
In fact, finding the perfect wedding dress can be quite a stressful experience for the bride-to-be. To make it a little easier and more fun, here are 5 basic tips for choosing the perfect gown:
1. Time is not on your side. As soon as you get that ring on your finger, you need to start looking-not buying, but looking. If you aren't planning on a long engagement, you need to step it up a notch. The reason for this is that unless you find the perfect dress right off the rack and it fits you to a T, getting your gown takes time.
It can take up to 12 months to get in a gown that you've ordered. But, even if you find one in the shop, alterations will likely be needed. Because of the complexity of many gowns, the seamstress will need several weeks or even months to complete the alterations. You don't want to be wringing your hands on the week of wedding, wondering if your dress will be ready.
2. Get your friends and family involved. Never go shopping alone and if you do, definitely don't make any decisions until you have some help. It can be your mother, your maid of honor, the whole wedding party or even your brother-you just need someone whose opinion you trust and who knows you well.
3. Get used to the dressing room. You should try on as many different styles as you can even if you think it's ugly on the hanger. Once it's draped over your body, it may be the most beautiful dress in the world. Have an open mind.
4. Keep your wedding location in mind while you shop. You wouldn't wear the same dress for a beach wedding in a church wedding. There may be several perfect wedding dresses out there for you depending on what kind of wedding you're having. Think about this when choosing the wedding parties attire as well.
5. When you find it, stop shopping. There will just be something about the dress when you see it and then, when you put it on, you'll know it's the one. It would be a waste of time to continue shopping at this point. But, don't fret if you never find what you think is the perfect dress. It may not exist so be prepared with a second choice. You will still be a lovely bride and the most important thing is the ceremony anyway, right?
One last thing-Don't worry about tradition while you are shopping. The idea of a traditional white gown is no longer in fashion. Today, you can wear pretty much what you want on your wedding day. As long as you are comfortable and happy, it is your day after all.
Keep this advice in mind while you frantically run around town and city to city in search of the perfect wedding dress. It can make the effort less stressful and more fun when you've got help.
Make your New Orleans wedding an event to be remembered. To explore your options for that elegant and simple yet modern nuptial, visit http://www.neworleansweddingsmagazine.com
Related Articles -
New Orleans wedding, New Orleans Wedding Planner, New Orleans Weddings, Weddings in New Orleans,