The Basics |
Grease gun is an important tool for applying lubrication to heavy machinery or mechanical parts and zerk fittings to prevent wear and tear between them. It finds application in farm equipment, heavy machines at construction sites, and even for home purposes like oiling the sewing machine or the door hinges. It also is used for regular auto repairs and maintenance.
Depending on the purpose the gun is being used for, you need to buy a specific kind. Here we shall discuss the factors you need to consider while purchasing the tool and also steps you need to take to load it safely. We shall also discuss the kinds of devices that are popular among professionals and home users.
Factors to consider before purchasing a Grease Gun
1) A grease gun can be filled in three ways: suction, cartridge and bulk. Determine which method is convenient for you?
2) What is the typical lubrication quantity required at your facility/home use?
3) Do you need to grease hard-to-reach areas?If yes, you may need to buy additional gun extensions.
4) What are the types of fittings that are commonly used in your facility?
These questions can help you buy the right gun for your needs.
Grease Gun Types and Using them Effectively
Most common types of lubricating guns available include the lever style and the hand-grip style.
A lever-style gun is suitable for most of the manual lubrication tasks. This kind of device disperses 1.28 grams of grease per pump. Certain areas may also require hand-grip style gun. This type can disperse up to 0.86 grams per pump. Depending on the quantity of grease your fittings require, you can select one accordingly. You also need to train the technician who will be using the device, as an untrained person can compromise the bearing's seal.
Caulking style grease guns are used for sealing water leaks and air leaks and preventing damage of the machinery. Such lubricating tools perform dual functions: maintenance of your machinery or home-appliances as well as extension of the devices. A fully automatic pneumatic grease gun is the most popular type of gun for industrial needs as it can deliver lubrication to pressurized grease ports quickly and efficiently. A point to remember here is that you must clean the appliance with a mild dish detergent, every now and then, to ensure that the grease runs smoothly and evenly.
Re-Filling the Grease Gun safely
Care should be taken while refilling the gun too. There is a metallic sealing cap on the device, which when removed, exposes the sharp edges of the cartridge. Make sure that you protect your hands from these sharp edges.
1) Start by removing the head of the gun from the barrel
2) Pull back the rod and lock rod handle.
3) Open the new cartridge and insert it into the gun barrel
4) The cartridge should be pushed back so that the rim is in contact with the rim of the grease gun.
5) Close the barrel loosely
6) You can now release the rod handle
7) Check whether grease is coming out in the nozzle when you pump the gun. If yes, you may now tighten the barrel head.
8) Wipe the nozzle clean in case any grease has squirted out.
You may also attach a gun coupler at the end of the extension hose directly on the area to be greased. This is pretty much there is to know regarding a grease gun.
Related Articles -
grease gun, pneumatic grease gun, refilling grease gun, zerk fittings,