Are you a resident of Singapore looking for a divorce lawyer? There are more than 400 law firms in Singapore that handle divorce cases. |
Are you a resident of Singapore looking for a divorce lawyer? There are more than 400 law firms in Singapore that handle divorce cases. Hence, you have a choice. Some people might take references from their family and friends and settle on the first name that comes up. Others might check it out online.
First of all, you should know about the procedure involved in the divorce case. Since you want to hire a lawyer, you should also question yourself so that you can understand the procedure. Some of the questions that you should focus on are as follows:
- Can you divorce in Singapore?
- What legal grounds (reasons) do you need for a divorce?
- Know the difference between an contested divorce and a uncontested divorce
- What are the considerations for Child custody
- What are the considerations for the division of matrimonial property?
You can also check out on The Complete Guide to Divorce on singaporedivorcelawyer.com.sg and Divorce overview on the Family Justice Courts website. You can even check out in the forums where you can get to know about the experience of others caught in the same situation. You should also make notes that are relevant to you. Even after this, you still have a doubt, then you can consult your family lawyer Singapore. The main reason to do this is how complex is your case and what lies ahead. When you get to know how to go about with your divorce, then it will be easier for you to decide on child custody. This will also affect the legal and emotional costs to a great extent. This first step helps in finding the right lawyer as well.
As mentioned earlier, there are more than enough divorce lawyers to go around. You should also understand the circumstances under which the lawyer is working for your case. You will get to know how they charge. The divorce lawyer is of three types and is as given below:
- Solo divorce lawyer
- The divorce law firm
- The high net-worth divorce lawyer
Once you understand each lawyer’s role or way of working, you can decide on them. Let’s see here how to find the right lawyer.
- The most popular and preferred option is to go for a lawyer by asking your family and friends. This will give you a comfort that the lawyer has enough experience. Law is a personal service. Hence, you need to have personal compatibility with the lawyer that you are selecting. Sometimes they might also charge higher prices for their services when compared to the walk-in client.
- You can go through the advertisements that are posted online. You can check through the online profiles about the lawyers to see whether they can understand your situation and empathize with you. However, you should be careful about their fees as they might charge you more as they also have to fulfill their overheads.
- You can even check in the Legal Services Regulatory Authority Directory of Lawyers as they have the updated list of lawyers.
- Singapore Legal Advice website will also help you in finding an experienced divorce lawyer. You can save your time by filling in a form and send your query to several relevant lawyers.
Thus, first, enrich yourself with the knowledge about your divorce case and then find the suitable lawyer who can understand your problem and help you out.
About Author: Jamson Lim works for a top Expat Divorce firm in Singapore and has effectively handled foreigners divorce cases in Singapore. He mostly writes on topics like expat divorce eligibility, child custody, expat assets division and others.
Related Articles -
divorce lawyer, divorce lawyers, divorce lawyer singapore, family lawyer singapore, child custody, child custody lawyer, family law mediation,