Often the overseas businesses, educational institutes, and other foreign entities ask for documents issued in Singapore. These documents will be accepted only after the legal authorization by a notary public in Singapore.
Notary Public is a person that is authorized to authenticate the documents that are to be used in foreign countries. They are the credible witnesses that announce that the certificates provided are original copies. Furthermore, it states that the information on the document is certified to their knowledge. You will also have to sign a legal paper validating the truth about your certificates.
Every country has different rules for its notary public and notarizing the documents. You must know the basic details about a notary public to know how they can help. Here are all the details about the notary public that you must know.
What does a notary public do?
The whole idea behind having a notary public is to avoid fraud. Furthermore, it also gives comfort and eases to people who wish voluntarily legalize their documents. The services that a notary public provides are as follows.
- Notarization of documents to confirm its use by foreign entities. They validate the signatures on documents. The documents may include property transfer deeds, power of attorney, legal business contracts, and all other document types involved in legal matters.
- Legal business documents are not the only ones that need attestation. Sometimes the documents like marriage certificates, birth certificates extra also need to be attested. A notary public is authorized bodies for the same.
- They act as a witness. As the person has signed all legal documents in front of the lawyer, they become the signed witness.
- You can render all these services by a notary public in Singapore.
In most countries, there is a fixed fee for a notary public. There is also no scope of negotiation. These fees are mentioned rules, and you can check them out anywhere. However, if there is an extra service that is not listed, it is charged extra. The extra fee, if applicable, the amount is to be decided by the notary public only. He holds the right to decide the amount to charge, considering the nature and complexity of the work.
It should be made clear that a notary public is also a qualified lawyer. It is the special board for oaths that decides on hiring lawyers in Singapore as the notary public. Moreover, these lawyers are experienced ones with at least 10 to 15 years of experience.
The best lawyers in Singapore with skills like discipline and a track record of utmost honesty are hired as the notary public. Thus, the job and its duties are highly respected.
The process for this is simple.
- The first thing is to check the exact requirements for notarizing the documents. You should check if there are any special requirements other than the basic ones followed by every notary public in Singapore.
- Take the documents in question to an authorized lawyer in Singapore that is an eligible notary public. You can then ask them about the further steps to follow.
- Get the documents attested and sign a letter claiming you have provided original documents. Furthermore, accept that the information on them is valid and stands true. Your notary public will act as a witness in this.
- After your documents are notarized, they are good to use for any domestic or foreign purpose.
Make sure you are keeping utmost honesty in providing the information. Also, you must present the original copies. In case of any discrepancy, you can consult with the lawyer and get things settled. Always hire the best notary public to be sure of the validity of your documents.
About Author: Jason is a law student. He currently writes on topics related to lawyers in singapore and other legal issues and advice.
Related Articles -
notary public, notary public singapore, notary public services, commisioner oaths services, lawyers in singapore,