Building and maintaining a successful business is hard work; help keep your business from going up in flames by learning how to properly fireproof your building. A fire can destroy equipment, files, and merchandise. A devastating fire can be prevented with proper planning, followed by taking the appropriate steps to fireproof your business. Fire protection experts can help you install fire extinguishers and fire sprinklers in Berkeley Heights, or in your area. They can also help educate you on other effective methods of fire prevention.
Tips on Fireproofing Your Business
- Keep your workplace clean, inside and outside. Clutter caused by scattered paper, boxes, or batteries can actually fuel a fire. Without the added fuel, a spark caused by a frayed cord or other types of equipment will possibly just hit the ground and burn itself out. It's also important to keep the grounds surrounding your business clean. In order to prevent a fire from spreading, keep brush, old leaves, and other types of debris cleaned up,
- One of the leading causes of fire damage is an electrical fire. Help prevent electrical fires by disposing of frayed electrical cords, avoiding outlet overload, and getting rid of old electrical equipment. Damaged or outdated equipment can generate heat or throw out sparks, which can immediately cause a fire to start.
- Your heater is a vital part of keeping your workplace at a comfortable climate during the winter. Remember to maintain your furnace by checking for clogged filters and changing your filters regularly. Maintaining your furnace is essential in reducing your risk of a fire.
- Early detection is the key to eliminating or minimizing fire damage. You should have a network of fire detectors located throughout your business; have the batteries or the wiring checked regularly.
- Install an effective sprinkler system and keep it maintained at all times. Your sprinkler system should be specifically designed for the size and occupancy of your building. There are several types of sprinkler systems to choose from. A wet pipe system is the most economical type of sprinkler system. A pre-action sprinkler system is a dry system; it includes an additional valve for activation, which helps prevent accidental discharge. Dry pipe systems are filled with air and are used in areas where pipes may freeze or if a leak in a wet system could cause damage to valuables. A deluge system is used in buildings where normal sprinkler systems are not sufficient, such as a chemical plant. It's also a good idea to make sure there is a fire hydrant or water valve near your business; if not, you may want to consider having one installed.
- Consider investing in fireproof floor coatings and thermal barriers for your walls. You can choose intumescent coatings which provide a protective thermal barrier, are lightweight, and enhance the décor of the room. There's also the option of cementitious fireproofing, which creates a safe exit point for the fire, is durable, and less expensive. Non-combustible fire walls made from hollow concrete blocks are another viable option to keep a fire contained in one area. All of these options make it difficult or impossible for fire to spread throughout your business. Restricting fire damage to a specific area helps you return to normal business as soon as possible.
Fires cause billions of dollars of damages to homes and business each year. Many fires can be prevented by utilizing some fireproofing techniques. Start by setting up a fire prevention system that is customized to the size and individual needs of your business. Continue to assess the risk of fire in your business on a regular basis. Keep up to date with new fire safety equipment and policies. Have your system inspected regularly by a company that specializes in all types of fireproofing, including fire sprinklers in Berkeley Heights, or a fireproofing professional in your area.
Related Articles -
Fire, Sprinklers, Berkeley, Heights,