For any UK haulier, I highly recommend that you switch to an excellent cashless payment system which has been specifically designed for HGV drivers – SNAP Account. I find that the key benefit for drivers is that it eliminates the need to carry petty change, which is always a huge pain for drivers as they try to find the right amount to provide as payment and then retain all receipts. With SNAP, payment is zero-hassle, quick and efficient and I know many drivers who will be very eager to make a switch to this payment type. |
What is SNAP?
SNAP Account is a clever cashless system which uses number plate recognition, enabling payments to easily be made for parking, washing, recovery, repair and the Dartford crossing. With this, you can greatly reduce your paperwork and eliminate the need to carry a wad of receipts, as they send you one clean, easy to read, itemised invoice each week.
What are the Advantages for the Average Haulier?
To the average HGV driver, it can make life much easier and reduce a lot of stress. These are the key benefits that you can enjoy once you begin using this system.
- Parking – you can make cashless payment at over 90 SNAP approved sites across the UK and get access to pre-bookable parking at SNAP-only depot sites (guaranteed spot and high security).
- Washing – There are over 40 usable washing sites around the UK and optional wash frequency control.
- Recovery – The Association of Vehicle Recovery Operators provide HGV Roadside assistance, eliminating stress and also avoiding excessive statutory removal charges.
- Repair – Included within the recovery package, this will get you back on the road quickly with HGV roadside repair services.
These are the services that are available, but I find that many HGV drivers I speak to simply enjoy the fact that they no longer have a truck full of change and a wallet bursting with receipts.
- Dartford Crossing – avoid penalty charges when using the Dartford Crossing as vehicle recognition software is used and the Government’s crossing fee (£6) will appear on your itemised invoice.
For fleet managers, it is easy to control and change individual vehicles or groups of trucks and which services you want them to be able to use. It can also streamline admin with reduced receipts, there are no account fees, and you are free to leave at any time.
Registering and Starting Using SNAP
It is also a system that is easy to set up, as you simply visit their website and register your fleet. The fleet operator registration form is straightforward, containing company details, contact information, account types and a choice of services. You then simply add the vehicle license plate details and you are good to go.
Once you are all set up, anytime that you or another driver makes a truck stop or stops for a wash at a SNAP approved service stop, you provide the registration number and the cost will be added to the weekly invoice.
I strongly urge any HGV drivers and fleet managers to make the switch - before long you will wonder how you ever got by without it. If you would like to know more about SNAP and what it can do for you, contact my team today and we can discuss the system in more detail.
Norman Dulwich is a Correspondent for Haulage Exchange, the leading online trade network for the road transport industry. Haulage Exchange provides services for matching HGV drivers with available haulage jobs. Over 4,000 transport exchange businesses are networked together through their website, trading jobs and capacity in a safe 'wholesale' environment.
Related Articles -