When your delivery van is your business, the way it looks can make an important first impression on clients and consumers. Make sure you take the time to make sure it looks the very best it can. |
Here are our top ten tips for giving your delivery van the care and cleaning it really needs to look its best.
1. Get the Right Equipment Washing up liquid is no substitute for a proper car shampoo as it will strip the wax and leave your van looking dull. Make sure you have a sponge or mitt for cleaning, a water blade for drying, plenty of micro fibre towels for polishing and a clay bar for the perfect finish. As far as polish and wax go, you’ll get what you pay for so consider splashing out a little.
2. Be Prepared Before you put a hand on your precious delivery van, make sure you’ve got everything ready and to hand. Remember to take off any rings that might scratch the paint work.
3. Always Use Two Buckets It is definitely worthwhile using two buckets, so that you can use one for cleaning and the other for rinsing you dirty sponge or mitt with clean water
4. Start From the Top Always start with the vehicle’s roof; that way you won’t get dirty water dripping on your beautifully cleaned surfaces
5. Paint Conditioner Will Remove Minor Blemishes This light detergent mixed with a very mild cutting compound will help to remove minor scratches, as well as dissolving dried on marks which are hard to shift with shampoo alone.
6. A Clay Bar Will Remove Pretty Much Anything This is a ball of very sticky putty which, combined with a lubricant, can be dragged across your van to lift even the toughest grit and dirt safely away from paintwork.
7. To Wax or Not to Wax It’s up to you whether you choose to use wax or polish, but one thing is for sure: you’re going to need one or the other to get that showroom-style finish. For novices, polish is easier to use but wax does create the ultimate, professional look.
8. Use Foam on Your Windows Foam window cleaner doesn’t dry as quickly as spray products so you have time to wipe away and clean with a micro fibre cloth before smears appear.
9. Don’t Let Your Wheels Let You Down It may seem like an unnecessary step but if you clean the rest of your delivery van and leave the wheels they’ll stand out like a sore thumb. Wash wheels down with a wet soapy sponge to remove any dirt and then towel dry: they’ll look as good as new.
10. Shine Those Tyres Like the wheels, you don’t want dirty tyres to let you down. There are plenty of tyre shine products on the market which will transform the matt black of your old tyres into something shiny and new so it’s well worth investing the time.
Doing a delivery with a dirty van can create a similarly negative effect to turning up in dirty overalls with an unwashed face. With these helpful tips you’ll be able to give yourself a head start in making a great first impression.
Norman Dulwich is a correspondent for Courier Exchange, the world's largest neutral trading hub for same day courier and delivery van work in the in the express freight exchange industry. Over 4,000 transport exchange businesses are networked together through their website, trading jobs and capacity in a safe 'wholesale' environment.
Related Articles -