Painting your home is actually a big deal and like every other job that matters, you need a real pro to bring life to your home with an impressive paint job. If you are looking to paint your house soon or seriously considering it, below are some great tips to help you find the right paint contractor for the job. |
• Check Past Customer Referrals This is a no brainer. Since you are after the best contractor for the job, you can start by finding one that has done a great job elsewhere. You can ask family or friends for referrals or simply go on the internet and search for painters in your area, check out their websites. Are they professionally presenting their business? Check online review sites like Trustedpros, Yellow Pages and Google Maps.
• Pay Attention During the Quoting Process It is often recommended that you invite at least three different contractors and request a quote. Also, it is crucial that these contractors actually come to assess the area to be painted themselves. This should be more than a quick glance. Pay keen attention to how much the contractor spends assessing the area to be painted. A professional contractor will do more than glance at your home and give you a quote.
• Be Straight with Your Expectations You can expect fair treatment, fair and square. State your demands and be sure that the contractor is on board with what you hope to achieve. Usually, the number of coats applied to the wall isn’t the only thing that affects the final paint job quality. Preparation is also crucial and be prepared to pay extra if you want a professional job. If you wish to compromise on some of the preparations, be sure to agree to what extent with the contractor before the job begins. If you skimp on the preparations then don’t expect the contractor to provide a warranty.
• Ask to See Pictures of Completed Projects and Certifications Since you need to gauge the expertise of your potential painter, be sure to ask for past painting jobs that they have undertaken. Ideally, something recent – three to six months ago. If you are impressed with what you see, then go ahead and give them a shot. Also, since we are obviously talking about hiring a real professional, you may want to ask to see credentials or membership to a professional or recognized painters group. This isn’t a clear reflection of the painter’s skill, but it goes a long way to show that they are dedicated to their work and are fairly reliable.
• Get It In Writing Ensure that the contract clearly stipulates what is to be done, in what order, the complete cost and in what period it is to be completed. The contract should also contain key details about the contractor such as office address, name, telephone number, email and make sure the paperwork stipulates your rights to change your mind. Also, request a copy of the painter’s liability and workers compensation insurance records. If the painter doesn’t have any coverage, and someone gets hurt in the course of the job or any damage is incurred, you just may be the one to cover the cost.
• Make Sure You are Getting Quality Paint Some painters will go as far as recommending a paint for you. This isn’t a bad idea. However, do not simply take their word for it. If a painter suggests any particular paint brand or type, ensure you independently find out if the paint suits the paint job and what you hope to achieve.
• Hold out and Ask for Guarantee Resist the temptation to pay the complete fee before the job commences. You should pay at most 50% of the total fee as a deposit. Also, request that the painter guarantees you that any imperfection or blemishes in the final paint job will be corrected before you complete the payment.
Steve Haney is the owner/operator of Whiskey Jack Painters an Alma, ON Canada based painting company. He can be reached through the company website at Whiskey Jack Painters
Related Articles -
painters, painting, professional painters, hire a professional,