Sewing is an exciting art that an individual can comfortably learn without much strain. The most critical part involves passion for learning the art and continuous practicing. If you are passionate about sewing, read along to learn how to sew. |
Before starting the actual learning process, you will need to gather essential items that make the learning process easy and effective.
What do You Need?
• A Sewing Machine- You choose between a manual or an electric sewing machine. Choose a sewing machine based on your budget and needs. A manual sewing machine is preferable for a beginner.
• Threads- you need a collection of differently colored threads to match the garments and fabric to practice on. The simple and most basic colors are enough.
• Fabric scissors- you need a quality pair of scissors for cutting various fabrics.
• A rotary cutter and a measuring board are essential tools that facilitate the fabric cutting exercise.
• A seam ripper helps you undo any parts you may have wrongly stitched since it is common to make mistakes during the learning process.
• A measuring tape- is an essential tool for taking measurements to ensure that you make diverse garments in their proper sizes and shapes.
• A tomato pin cushion- the sewing process involves pins to align specific areas where the thread will pass through. The cushion will help you store your pins in one place and minimize accidents since they can be dangerous while kept incorrectly.
• You will also need chalk pencils for marking the fabric along the line you wish to cut.
• The fabric- you will need a material to practice your sewing skills. The quality and quantity may vary depending on your needs.
• Lastly, a sewing basket or box to store all your sewing items in one place and keep them safe
The Sewing Process
For this guide, we will give the steps for sewing a skater skirt for your friend. Sewing for a friend or a close relative may help take away the tension and fear of failure. Let’s dive into it!
Step 1: Take and Record Measurements
Successful sewing involves taking and recording measurements for a fitting garment as per your client’s needs.
Using the measuring tape, take measurements of your friend and record the units on plain paper or a records book. Measure the waist circumference and the height (all in inches). Ensure you use the same unit of measurement to avoid confusion.
Step 2: Let your Friend Choose the Fabric
Show your friend the various fabrics available and let her choose based on her preference.
Step 3: Lay and Cut the Fabric
Lay the fabric on your working table and draw the cutting line on the fabric using the chalk. Cut pieces to the desired size using the scissors or rotary cutter. Hold the material in one corner and let it spread on the table.
Avoid unnecessary mistakes since such would lead to material wastage. If the fabric contains unique patterns, follow them to avoid making a skirt that will not fit the specified design.
Step 4: Sew the Skirt
Stitch the skirt along the cut edges and give an allowance for a zip and a button. When you have successfully joined the skirt, fold your waist ribbon to the desired thickness so that the waist stands out and is unique from all other sections. Sew up the zip and the button to complete the task.
Step 5: Let Your Friend Fit It
Allow your friend to fit in the new skirt and identify areas that may require any adjustment or correction.
Step 6: Make Adjustments
Since this is your first skater skirt, there will likely be errors, maybe along the waist, a few missed stitches, etc. Make adjustments and let your friend fit again to satisfaction.
Step 7: Repeat the Process with a Different Clothing
Repeat the process and sew another clothing for her, another friend, or a relative. The difference will be the type of clothing you make, the measurements, and how you lay and cut the fabric.
Why You Should Learn Sewing
If you learn how to sew a variety of outfits, you can make it your primary source of income. You can also become a tutor and teach others how to sew. You can also make your outfits as a hobby or relieve yourself of the stress of purchasing clothes that may not please you.
As you advance your skills and knowledge, you can be a fashion designer. On the other hand, you can sew during your free time and make extra money if you are employed.
Teaching yourself how to sew can be a challenging but exciting process. However, your attitude, determination, and practice will determine how best you perfect the art. The process demands that you have the essential tools before you start learning.
The seven critical stages of learning how to sew provide the basic information on how to sew. You can do further online research on how to sew different kinds of clothing—all the best as you teach yourself how to make great garments.
If you want to go beyond being just a beginner at this or any other skill, and work toward developing a real mastery, then you are going to need a deeper and more powerful strategy. What you need is a way to hack your brain so you can develop a winning mindset.
A winning mindset is a state of mind that allows you to enter a flow state at will. You do this by programming your subconscious mind.
Believe it or not, most of what you do throughout an average day is NOT freely chosen by your normal waking consciousness even though it may seem that way. The truth is that most of what you do on a day-to-day basis is done on autopilot. An example of this would be when you’re driving your car and as you do so you get bored and begin daydreaming. Before you know it, you find yourself several miles further down the road with absolutely NO memory of having driven those last several miles.
So, who exactly was driving while your waking consciousness was in la-la land, and how exactly did you manage to avoid an accident? Your subconscious mind was in control. You already spent years programming your subconscious with how to deal with a broad range of possible driving scenarios and thus it had no trouble taking the wheel while your waking consciousness took a little break. In other words, you were able to take effective actions without having to THINK about them.
The same way you programmed your subconscious to drive, you can also program it to automatically take successful actions toward mastering any other skill you decide that you want to learn. CLICK HERE to learn a proven, step-by-step formula to help you attain mastery at any skill you choose and achieve everything in life.
Related Articles -
teach yourself how to sew,